Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
survival rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

survival rate

My 26 year old sister was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. During her second chemotherapy treatment last week, the dr came in to confirm that the cancer has spread to her spine, rib cage, lymph nodes, and ovaries. He told her they are placing her in Stage IV. What does this mean in terms of her survival odds. Should we be looking for alternative options for her ? She has not had a mastectomy yet, the doctors wanted to start the chemo first because he says this is a very aggressive type of cancer. Also, he is urging my other sister and I to get tested immediately. Is there any harm in waiting? This has all happened so fast, and I don't think I can take on any more things at this time!
Hi.
I understand what you are going through.
From what you posted, your sister's cancer progressed while undergoing chemotherapy and that she has not undergone surgery.
What is her initial clinical stage?
If your sister's cancer progressed with her present chemotherapy regimen, her treatment may be shifted to another regimen.  Prognosis depends on how she responds to her new treatment.
Since you have a family history of breast cancer, it is very important for all female family members to have a regular breast examination.  Testing for genes for familial breast cancer can also be done.
Good luck.
Sorry to hear what your sister and you are going through. I have stage 3 and my sister in law has stage 4 with brain and bone mets. Shes 6 years out from her dx and doing well. I just wanted to say that when I was Dx. my mother had had breast cancer and 40yo with a mastectomy and reoccur. on other breast at age 60. She eventually passed away at age 75 from COPD although her death cert said Breast Cancer. Always made me wonder how good the stats are. Anyway because I have a sis , brother , 3 boys and 4 double cousins all women. (My mothers brother married my dads sister genetically we are like sisters) anyway I had the genetic testing done. Its scary because if your sister is positive her treatment maybe different , but what it means to you is the possiblility of proprolatic treatment to prevent breast cancer. Anyway good luck to your sister. I know what shes going through and I wish there was something to make it easier but I can suggest taking time for herself. Stay as on tract as you can with nutrition, green tea, read all you can make lists to ask your doctors and make them take the time with you you need to understand your best options. As a siblings I'd be reading everything I could about breast cancer and what you can do to possible to protect yourself. Hope this is helpful. Good Thoughts.