Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
what is the prognois when breast cancer is now in the bones

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

4 1/2 years ago my mother has a cancerous lump taken out of her breast. SHE DID NO TREATMENTs. About a year ago she found another lump in the same breast but this time on the outside. She found a doctor that has been treating it. we thought it was getting better. Just a couple of months ago the same doctor who is in another state where we live ordered a bone scan her at home. The results according to this doctor weren't good. He said there was nothing else he could do. We found a cancer doctor here at home. It is now in her lymph notes under her arm and in her chest and she also has another lump in the same breast inside again. It has been growing since her surgery 4 1/2 years ago. This doctor said it is not in any of her organs . All the natural stuff my mom was taking saved her organs. It is in her bones now. The doctor here will have them in a week. It only will be than that he will know what bones and how many the cancer is now in. Is it true once it reaches the bones it is stage 4? What can we expect, She also starts chemo in one week.
I'm so sorry to learn of your Mother's present condition. Evidently she received very poor medical care when her first cancer was discovered. The fact that she now has metastisis to the bone isn't the main issue as bone mets is quite easliy managed. The lymph node involvement is the problem to be addressed first. I truly hope that you are being treated by an Oncologist and that she will not refuse whatever treatment that is recommended. The only proven treatment for cancer at any stage is a combination of Chemotherapy, Radiation and possible Hormone Therapy following the appropriate surgery at the time the cancer is first discovered. As far as prognosis at this point; that would be something you should discuss with your Mother's Oncologist as he/she has all the necessary information regarding the cancer.   Kindest regards ...
So sorry to learn of your mother's health.... The first doctor apparently did not do his job aty all.  By all means, seek the assistance of a good oncologist -- but listen to his/her recommendations.  They will almost always without a doubt recommend the chemotherapy protocol, which has NOT been proven to help the majority of those receiving it (less than 15%).  Remember one thing -- and that is an oncologist job is to educate and inform patients only of what they are taught and told to relate to patients.   Please do your research for your mother -- it can save her life and give her peace of mind as well as quality of life.  My prayers are with you.
I've only gotten 2 responses to my post which either tell me there is something someone does't want to tell me or my concerns aren't enough. Thanks for nothing
I am so sorry to hear about your mother's health.  I can certainly appreciate your concern and your wish to get concrete answers.  I am in a similar position having been recently diagnosed with metastases to the bones.  From what I understand this means that the cancer is in stage IV.  Information on the computer suggests that mets to the bone and not to the vital organs are considered the "best".  My doctor said that she has seen a few patients live for 10 years in this condition.  The danger is that the cancer will move to vital organs.  If you look on the computer the statistics for life with metastatic cancer are grim (2-3yrs)  I have been assured that life expectancy can be much longer if the cancer can be stabilized.  I am hoping that this will be true for me and I definitely hope that this will be true for your mother.  I hope that this is somewhat helpful.  I don't think any one, cancer patient or oncologist, is quick to put a life expectancy in absolute terms.  I do understand, however, the wish to have certainty in such a vulnerable situation.  Best wishes, jonji
I'm sorry you felt that your concerns were not answered. I re-read your original post and found the only question to be "was bone mets considered Stage 4" .. Obviously your mother either refused treatment when she was first diagnosed and this is certainly the main reaosn for the recurrance. Natural remedies DO NOT prevent or cure breast cancer. As I mentioned before, bone mets can be managed quite well and there are many Stage IV women who alive and living with the bone mets.  If you would like some information from some of those Stage IV survivors you might visit the following website which is a discussion group and there are some amazing women there who are more than willing to share their experiences as Stage IV Survivors. Your Mother's Oncologist remains the best source of information regarding her particular case. Ck. out this website though if you have time:

bcsupport.org
I thought you answered her question very well...and I read most all of your replies which are great.  You are very knowledgable and helpful to this board.  But I can't help but ask...why did I get kicked off this board when I gave one woman a website to go too?  She had a very aggressive type of breast cancer...the type I have which is "Her2/neu".  She was in a panic and very upset and was getting no replies.  (And believe me when your 1st dx with bc...its urgent that someone answer you asap because you are scared to death!)

So I tried to help her and replied the best I can because I know quite a bit about Her2 bc.  And "one" part of my reply to her was a message board that is JUST for "Her2/neu".  The board I told her about is up to date on everything Her2 related.  They have all the clinical trials...can direct you to the best doctors that understand this type of cancer and every new treatment that's out to fight it.  So I very nicely said please check out this website and the woman here will be very supportive and can answer all your questions about Her2.  She was very apperciative and has recieved so much help once she went to the Her2 board I told her about.

But the minute I did that I immediately got a PM from MedHelp telling me I was no longer to post here and they removed my user name. (Something to that affect.)  They didn't even give me a chance.  Here I was spending my valuable time trying to help these scared woman since I've been in their shoes...and I get kicked off the board for being NICE.  (What's up with that?)  They could at least warn a person NICELY and say the rules of the board and not to post OTHER websites or you will be expelled premanetly.  But no...they "weren't" nice about it at all.  I even wrote them back to explain the same thing I'm tell you but they did NOT care and rather I just go away.  There are NOT very many people here to answer questions...so why they would chase someone like me away that is honestly trying to help someone is beyond me.  (I don't post or reply often now since they did that.)

I waited about a month and decided to sign up under another name in order to help these poor woman that need answers.  But I'm still upset the way I was treated.  I've been on alot of message boards over the last 25 yrs and I've never been treated like that.

You just posted another website in order to help this person that was very distressed and upset which I think was VERY KIND of you and approperiate considering her circumstances.  So I'm just curious why they were so quick to kick me off even when I APOLOGIZED for giving this girl the name of a website?  I was "not" spamming the board with websites...and thats how I was treated for offering ONE girl one website for a very aggressive type of cancer.  I just don't get it.  (Had I known it was breaking a RULE or something...I would of gladly PM'd her the website)  They did not kick you off this board for handing out another website for this person?  Just me.  I see nothing wrong with someone helping another.  I will probably get kicked off for this one too...just watch.  If this board has rules...everyone should have to follow them...why did they just single me out?  I'm usually one 3 boards to help others...and occasionally someone will post a special board thats only for stage IV, or Metsters, Her2/neu, lung cancer, etc...and no one gets kicked of any of those board for trying to direct someone to find help for their situation.  It's always bothered me that Medhelp jumped on me like that.  I was brand new here and trying to help all the newly dx...so much for that.  Hasn't medhelp heard of warnings or telling someone thats not allowed verses just KICK them off the board for good.  Sorry...ticks me off.  That wasn't fair.  I'm WAS a stage IIIA, Her2/neu, 3+++ survivor which was just dx stage IV last week.  My time is valuable to me...important.  I just LIKE to HELP people...not cause problems or hurt anyone.  I just didn't like that way I was treated.  Now I see you post a website and thats ok...but its not for me.  Medhelp should only have one set of rules...not a double standard.  And believe me...this post is with ALL DUE RESPECT for you.  You do good work here!  :)  I guess I've been holding this in a long time and life is SHORT...well it will be for me...so I wanted to get this out.  They can always delete this and kick me off again.  Whatever works for them.  Its no loss to me if they kick me off again...only to the people posting here that lose.  Keep up the "great" work Japdip...your are fast to respond to everyones questions and that alone is very important.  When dx with bc...the answers can't come fast enough.  Waiting is the hardest part for us.  Peace...take care.  Keep up the good work.

Rinda
I am so sorry you got another diagnosis of cancer. I am sending prayers your way that you get the correct treatment and that you recover again.

And I'm sorry you've had a tough time posting. I value your posts and I believe other women do as well. I ran into the same issue and I was fortunate to get a moderator who allowed me to explain why I post about BRCA and use a certain website for women to get more information. I was given an opportunity to share all of the research available there and they saw that it was of value to the people who visit medhelp. Apparently it's against their terms of service, something about competing sites. I do understand why you would offer that website to someone desperate for information and I know your heart is in the right place. We advocate for women with breast cancer. We try to help however we can. Even if it's just a cyber hug.

(You may want to check into the PARP inhibitor studies going on right now for metastatic breast cancer.)  

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Best wishes.
Just wanted to pipe in and say I am so glad you are active on this Web site and that I have gotten gotten a lot out of your posts!

(I know from personal experience that the rules are applied very unevenly...)

I am sorry that you are now in Stage 4. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best wishes....

hi i am new to this website and responding but just had to with yours i had BC diagnosed 2006, bone mets stage 1V in june 2008, i have oestrogen receptive bc and was put on letrozole, i have jsut had a bone scan and have a few more bone mets adn so have changed to another aromatase inhibitor  but hey thats 3 yrs and i have been great so fingers crossed heres to another 3 yrs before i have to change drugs again. so keep positive xx