Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
why decadron and predicor are needed with chemio?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

My mom -75 years-has been diagnosed with a breast cancer 3 weeks ago. she started her chimio today but had to take 20mgr of predicor yday night , 8 mgr of decadron 2day during the treatment, another 20 mgr  predicor tonight and she still have tot take predicor for 2 more days. I just want to know if it is necessary and why she is taking this medecication?.tks a lot
Tags: decadron
I think predicor is very similar to decadron, and a steroid/cortisone type drug, but I have no personal experience with this drug and do not know why your mom is on both medications.

Decadron is given with chemo, not all chemos though, for two major reasons. The first one is to prevent allergic reactions to the chemo, and the other as a way of controlling nausea that is often  accompanied with chemo.

Hope that helps a little, Katrin

Thank you Katarina. I was wondoring about the post I made obout breast cancer . bcoz I didnt added it to my watch list I lost it. Yday I was searching in the communauty and didnt find it so,I thought that maybe I deleted it by mistake.
your reply is very helpful. thank you. The decadron is given to mom during the treatment by IV, and the pills/ corticoide too, 1 day before, during and 1 day after. And thats certainly for the resons u mentioned.
I asked because I had concerns becoz my mom is diabetic too and this meds made a lot of disruption to her blood  test results. But now I know she has to take them, and later on all will go back to normal. Thanks God she is ok and dont have lot of side effects.
When I had chemo, I also was given the decadron before chemo, but I refused to take the pill form on the days before. I am also diabetic and luckily my oncologist agreed that I didn't have to take them, only the stuff in the infusion.

now I am on chemo again but with this one no cortisone is required at all. it's a VIP form of Taxol and it doesn't usually cause side effects. It goes in in 30 minutes vs. few hours and costs a lot more. I think one reason I get it is because of the Diabetes, and I have type I.

Yes, these steroids really mess you up ....

You should inquire about your mom also being able to skip the decadron in the oral form. i did fine without it.
PS: What chemo is your mom on? Because even when I had three different chemos, one after the other, a couple of years ago, and heavy doses, I still did fine without the pills and only got the decadron with the infusions. Kat
Forgot one more thing; the current 'VIP' Taxol form is called Abraxane.
thanks a lot. In fact I dont know on what  type of chemomy mom is. she was diagnosed 7 weeks ago when she was in visit to my brother who is a doctor and is living in USA. his best friend is oncolgist and mom  had all her exames there and they set the protocol for chemo. she said she want to come back home and make her treatment here, I am her only daughter (two sons). so my brother called his friends here and he could find an oncologist who accepted the protocol as it. I know that she has 2 kind of meds, no neoadjuvant .
sorry if I cannot say more. I have many friends and relative making chemo but no one knows about the chemo type. It's different in our country. Thanks God we Have my brother abroad.
Mom had her treatment every 3 weeks. it takes about 4 hours. I am staying with her everytime, all the day and these moments are blessing. She is calm and has deep faith. she talk to everyone about her cancer when in our county nobody said "cancer" . it is designated by " the bad deases".
I'll try to know more and will comeback. tank you for your support. it means a lot to me to share with you.
Decadron is a steroid to keep the side effects at a minium.  I took this when I had Taxorere and Cytoxin 4 years ago.  I never had any side effects and did very well with the chemo.  Best of luc

O5cats