Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
will my mom survive stage 4 breast cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

My mom was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer last 2007, she did chemo once, she stopped it because she can't handle it so she just did radiation. her last check up with her onco was last october 2009, the dr said they found some tumor but it was benign..she had never done any check up since then because we don't have insurance. 3 months ago(june 2010)  she had an accident, she slip on the floor and hurt her back.we went to the doctor and said it was just muscle spasm, they gave her pain reliever and muscle relaxant..  months after the pain just got worse. she was advised to have bone scan and the result was her breast cancer had metastasized to her ribs. her 1st and 2nd ribs on left and 2nd and 3rd ribs on right and another on side. she was tested today if she can have mri and ct scan.what do you think will happen to my mom? i hope she'll survive this.thank you
Sorry about yout mom, abby888.
When cancer progresses to stage 4, that is always very scary, and never good. From my experience over the years learning more and more about cancer, it seems, that how people live with that varies greatly from one person to another.

If  the mets are to a vital organ, like liver, and a god part of it has been invaded, the prognosis is usually very bad, both in the quality and quantity of the time that is left. In the case with your mother, she may live many years, and well, due to the fact that bones are not vital organs, and because  much better treatment these days. She won't be cured but I have heard of women with her diagnosis surviving for up to 15 years?

Of course it is not all, and only about surviving, or living well, with bone cancer, as everything is so unpredictable, and the breast cancer may still spread to other places, like lungs and/or brain.

And because  all is so unpredictable, and nobody knows how an individual will respond to one or various treatments, the very best thing to do is live in the here and now, and make sure every moment counts instead of hoping for the greatest number of years, and which we just often cannot predict.

It used to be that people with stage 4 breast cancer just pretty much die, but this has changes. not only can you treat the cancer these days, (of course there are exceptions), but if one treatment stops working you jump to the next until that stops working, and then you hope that in the meantime new experimental treatments become available to try. And many people live like that for many years.

I hope this information helps a little, best wishes to you both,

KAT
It pains me to hear people don't have health insurance.  Have you reached out to your local social services office?  Here in NY state, it is possible for everyone to have some sort of health coverage.  I also know there are many programs for free breast cancer screening.  Please look into it, not only for your mom, but for yourself as well.  I hope the future brings some good news for you and your mom.