Breast Cancer Community
dense breast parenchyma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

dense breast parenchyma

What does a dense breast parenchyma mean?  Is it normal or not? Should it raise a concern for breast cancer?
Dense breast parenchyma simply describes the breast tissue. The breast may feel lumpy and appears dense on film and makes it more difficult for mammograms to detect abnormalities.. but it's not unusual to find dense breast tissue in young as well as in older women.I don't think that dense breast raises concern for breast cancer.When there is a suspicion, an MRI would be an excellent tool in detecting abnormalities in dense breasts.Take care..
I have the same condition... it's dense breast tissue which can typically be felt as a
sort of lumpiness. It's not uncommon... according to my doctor, over 30% of the female population has it, in varying degrees. He also added, that it's a condition that is likely hereditary in nature.
Because the breast tissue is dense and lumpy it can make the viewing of mammograms difficult and, thereby, hide abnormalities within the breast. However, doctors, radiologists and technicians are all the more vigilant when viewing and interpreting the mammograms of those who have dense breast tissue.
My doctor recommended that I continue with routine self examinations and yearly mammograms.
A related discussion, Dense Breast Parenchyma was started.
A related discussion, treatment for dense parenchyma breast diagnosis was started.