Breast Cancer Expert Forum
11 year old female breast lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

11 year old female breast lump
Hello My 11 year old daughter has noticed a lump in her breast that is right next to the side of the aerola. I can feel it and it feels small and is within the tissue. She had a pretty sharp contusion to that same breast a couple of days before and that is when she felt the lump. I am concerned that it may have been there already and only noticed because of hitting it. I am an overly anxious parent and have an appointment with her pediatrician. Any other comments out there that could help calm my fears.
Dear luvh20,  Given your daughter’s age it would be unusual that this lump would be cancerous, and may very well be because of the injury.  However, having it checked by her pediatrician to ease your mind is fine.

To my knowledge, breast cancer has never been reported in anyone as young as your daughter.
When I was 15 years old, I as well found a lump in my left breast. Go get a biopsy done asap to make sure it's not cancer.

I had the option of leaving it and finding out it would only develop into breast cancer, or get it removed asap.
I got it removed and have never had a problem since.
I am trying to remember how old you are when you start to develop? I say this because when my oldest daughter started to develop she also had a lump similar to what you describe. I panicked as I'm a bc survivor and took her to the pediatrician. They told me it was a node and it was not uncommon for girls to start to develop unevenly like that. Sure enough it was the beginning and the "lump" went away. We laughed about it later.
A related discussion, lump in breasts was started.