Breast Cancer Community
1st ever mammo and ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

1st ever mammo and ultrasound

I had my first mammo done on Tuesday.  Wednesday afternoon I got a call that I needed to come back in for a diagnostic mammo.  Well I went today.  I originally mentioned to my gyn that I had some soreness on the outer side of my right breast.  After the radiologist looked at my films today, he sent me for an ultrasound.  The tech came back after the radiologist looked at the pictures and she told me that he said he thinks its lymph nodes.  To come back in 3 months for a repeat u/s to see if anything changed.  I am a little beside myself.  I think that they could have gave me a little more information than that.  Now I will have to wait until Monday to hopefully talk to my ob/gyn.  Does this mean that I have breast cancer, and if not, what is wrong with my lymph nodes.  She said there were two that she seen.  This has had to be the longest week ever.
Lymph nodes are often present in the breast tissue.The normal function of a lymph node is to act as filters.The normal size of a lymph node ranges from a couple of millimeters to about a centimeter. When there is infection or inflammation somewhere in the body, a lymph node may enlarge.The purpose of watching an enlarged lymph node is to ensure that the lymph node is not continuing to grow, which may be cause to investigate further.
An enlarged lymph node doesn't necessarily mean cancer...and a 3 months follow up is a normal procedure.
Best wishes ...
One of the most common causes of lymph nodes enlargment is infection. The pain is also sign of infection. Do you have a fever? Autoimmune diseases can also swell the nodes.
You can always go to a surgeon to have them removed.
I wish the best and do hope it is not cancer.
Thank you zouzi and Ma111.  I do not have a fever.  And during my breast exam in April, my doc could not feel any lumps.  There is no pain where the ultrasound was done, but there is a few inches away from it.  I have no autoimmune diseases.  I can only hope that in three months maybe it will have shrunk or stays the same size.  It sure makes you worry alot though.  Thank you.
I just spoke to the x-ray tech at the hospital. The radiologist report says that there was one area that measured .5 cm that he felt was benign and was a lymph node.  I have to have the follow-up u/s in 3 months.  Would they be able to tell from the u/s if it was cancer or not?
Hi again,
It is very hard to tell just by an ultrasound the nature of the swollen lymph node.Just from the ultrasound description, it is impossible to tell if the the swelling is caused by an infection somewhere in the body( which happens quite often, even without a fever) or a more serious problem.
If, after the 3 months follow-up the node has enlarged,you could discuss with your doctors regarding additional tests that can narrow down the possibilities.These tests would include a mammogram, MRI, or even a biopsy procedure, depending of course on what your doctor deems appropriate.
I wish you all the best and good luck...
If they though it was evne close to cancer, they would take it out or biopsy it.