Breast Cancer Community
2 types of breast cancer chemo therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

2 types of breast cancer chemo therapy

We hve been given 2 options for chemo. the first is , 2 monthes of adriamycin and cytoxin, every 2 weeks,then 3 monthes of taxol and herceptin, every 2 weeks,  and additional 9 monthes of herceptin.
The 2nd option is Carboplatin, herceptin,and taxotere  every 3 weeks for 6 sessions.
I am concerned about the long term heart issue from the adriamycin, but the the CHT is a new combination and there is very little info concerning case studies.
ANy info you have would be a big help.
It is my understanding that the herceptin can also cause heart damage.
the info I have says the heart problems with Herceptin recede when you stop taking the drug. The Adriamyacin  side effects are permanent.
I had minor changes in one valve with 4 rounds of A/C.  They did a 2D echo on my heart before and after.  Only a few changes noted.  I was blessed.  My family has a history of heart problems, especially valve issues.

I haven't read up on some of the newer drugs.  I did 4 rounds A/C (while pregnant) and 4 rounds Abraxane with 5 yrs of Tamoxifen. (on year 2 now...stage 3 cancer, 1 node involved, ER+/PR-, HER2 -).
lhughes......When was the last time they checked your heart.  I had 4 rounds A/C 6 years ago...develeped heart failure a couple of years later.  I don't want to frighten you or anyone, but heart issues can show up later on, so stay on top of it.  I am well compensated today and have very few problems, but I was lucky because we realized it early.

Stan515....as you can see, I know all about the Adriamycin side effects on the heart.  Its a crapshoot, as far as I am concerned, and it sucks that the cure for one disease will bring on another, and I wish I could help you with your question...

If it helps any, I just had my check up with the onc today...he has a pretty busy practice and I am one of only a couple of patients he had that developed chemo induced heart failure.  
Because of all the drugs and the cancer, I have routine 2D echos, chest x-rays, CT scans, bone scans, and more bloodwork than I can stand sometimes.  Some of those are 6-month checks, others yearly.  I'm only 2 years out at this point.

I have multiple docs watching for anything and everything, thankfully.  Hopefully nothing else will happen, but that's all in God's hands at this point.  I'm just trying to do my part with eating right and exercising.

Because of my mother's history of heart problems in her family (everyone actually), I am more aware of heart issues than others would be.  I'm hoping that my genetic makeup follows my father's family!  But, so far, I appear to be following in her footsteps.  Yikers.
PS... You are right though.  When faced with cancer and the drugs that are supposed to kill the cancer, the list of what the drugs MIGHT do to you is quite frighening.  You're thinking this stuff might kill me, too???  What an option.