23 year old found small hard lump
My 23 year old daughter told me she found a small hard lump about the size of 1/2 a peanut in the upper part of her breast, about 1 inch above her nipple. I felt it and am so scared and nervous. Of course being a saturday, there is no doctor to call. I am wondering what the chances this could be cancer. She is young and not concerned so I am trying not to alarm her. Does anyone have experience with this and suggestions. I tried to look on line and some say to wait through a period cycle or 2 and see if it goes away. I wonder if I should take her for a mamogram asap. I did read that 80% of lumps are benign, but it is very scary. What do you think?
Although exceptional, bc does occur in women as young as 18 yrs.  If it were my daughter I would make an appt with my GP/PCP and let him/her have a look at the lump.  It could just be a cyst, which can be aspirated, but if something more serious, the sooner the better for treatment.

Liz.
You are never too young to get breast cancer, I was 39 when diagnoised.  My lump was 1.5cm in size, hard, peanut in shape and in a similar position to your daughters.  Hopefully it is nothing, but bring her immediately to the GP and request a referral to a breast clinic.  Mammograms under the age of 35 do not how up breast tissue properly so insist on an ultrasound.  From the ultrasound the doctor may get a fairly good idea if it is anything to worry about or not.  I was told after my mammogram and ultrasound that my lump was malignant and the biopsy confirmed this.  Early diagnosis is critical.  Please God she will be ok, but get her seen to immediately.  You need to know and put your minds at rest.  The worrying and waiting is terrible.
FYI, I had a solid/hard "rubbery" lump in my breast at age 37 which was benign. After a mammo and ultrasound, MD sent me for needle biospy (which was painless) and the lump was diagnosed as a FIBROADENOMA ( you can google it for more info). These are fairly common in young women under 40 and benign. I had mine removed as a precaution. Generally they don't turn into cancer or grow. -- I've read that lumps that feel rubbery and can be moved, generally are not cancer. Also, your daughter's lump could  be a cyst. I also had a cyst in my other breast, it was found during mammo and ultrasound.  Cysts are VERY common!!!! And benign. Since no lump should be ignore, you should take your daughter to MD for exam and mammo WITH ULTRASOUND (which sees things mammo can't!!!!!) as soon as possible, and don't worry, be smart! Best wishes