Breast Cancer Expert Forum
26 yr old w/ painful breast lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

26 yr old w/ painful breast lump

i'm 26 yrs old and for the past few months, i've had a painful ,rather large lump in my right breast.  it's located on the outside, upper part of the right breast--like at a 10 o'clock position, i guess.  it is very tender and painful starting about a week or so before my period and lasting about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks---then the lump and pain go away for a while.      what is this??  i have a grandmother and great aunt who have had breast cancer, but in their 60's. is this cancer?????
Dear noodlegirl:  It is not uncommon for lumpy breast tissue to swell and become painful around the time of the menstrual period.  However, if you are concerned, you should have a doctor examine your breast.
I'm not a professional, but I'd say you have a fluid filled cyst (generally benign). It is common to have the syptoms (symptoms) you discribe with a cyst. I would suggest you have your doctor evaluate the situation.
I too had a lump after the birth of my second child at the age of 23.  My first GP diagnosised it as a cyst, (no medical tests)just said that he knew that was what it was a cyst and to not worry about it. It was painful and getting larger.  5 yrs later at the age of 28, I was scheduled for an ultrasound and biopsy.  After the ultrasound I was informed that they couldn't biopsy because the each cyst in the cluster was too small.  So again I was told to live with it.  Again 4 years later (now 32)again it was ultrasound and presented clearly as a larger cyst cluster with a recommended re-check in 8 years.  I am now 37 years old and have had to undergo surgery to have something removed that wasn't a cyst. I then had to go through a second surgery 2 weeks later to remove more tissue.  I had been living in pain for all those years with a growth that was using my own blood supply to grow itself bigger.  I was finally referred to a breast surgeon that felt that I was justified in asking to have this removed.  I wished that I had went with my instincts earlier and then I wouldn't have had to have a large mass removed almost 14 yrs later.  I am now 4 days into recovery after the second surgery again waiting for results.  I recommend seeing the specialist.  The specialist was the one to point out that a cyst would have been soft and mushy not the hard lump that I had been living with. I live in a rural area so the specialist doing the test and feeling the lump wasn't the specialist that was reading the test.  The breast surgeon did everything in her office and I have felt that I received better care there.