Breast Cancer Community
2nd lumpectomy pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

2nd lumpectomy pain?

Feb. 15 going back for second lumpectomy. Had first one 3 weeks ago surgeon did not get clear margins. I was wondering if any of you experienced more pain with the second one? First one I had on a Thursday and was back to work that Monday. Can I expect pain to be about the same? Also had wire localization done with first surgery no wires this time.
I had a lumpectomy on October 16 and a second one on October 30 for the same reason.  In my case I felt slightly more sore but I returned to work in two days as I did after the first surgery.  Looking back I think I was more emotionally drained the second time around then actually being in physical pain.  Having to go back in for a second surgery really blew my mind.  I recently finished 33 rads (piece of cake).  Two other women who were there with me also had to have second surgeries.  It seems to be quite common but no one told me.  Had I known that there was a possiblity that a second surgery might be necessary I would have been spared alot of shock and anxiety.  Good luck to you, you will get through it and you will be fine.
depending on what actually happens, with my second one it was alot more painful because he manipulated the tissue away from the muscle wall to form the breast, i wasn t aware of this and it expected it to be as painless as the first time, i also go in tomorrow to try again to clear margins, please let me know how you make out good luck  
Thanks to both of you for the info. My surgeon did warn me going in that a second surgery may be needed, so I was somewhat prepared. If the second surgery works GREAT and if doesn't then I know I tried my best to preserve the breast. It was worth it to me. Got my ice pack ready for tomorrow...teehee
Keeping the faith!
I hope everything went well for you today.
Surgery went well thanks. A little more pain yesterday compared to my first surgery but today is better. Had a stronger anesthesia this time around which was a little rough on me.
Praying for a good pathology report. Will get results back in about a week.
take care
my 3rd lumpectomy went well also, less painful than second, nervous about result, good luck with path
Glad your surgery went well also. Hopefully the third time is the charm! Goodluck to you on your path report. Let's hope we both get clear margins....I'm rooting for the both of us.
Did you get your path results back?
I got clean margins was hoping you received good news also.
Best wishes