Breast Cancer Community
2nd opinion????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

2nd opinion????

Hi, Just wondering if I'm overreacting. Had my first mammo was asked to wait may need more images, sure enough Spot compression views were obtained of the left breast was sent for US next day bc mass was identified in the left breast at the 2 o'clock position.
This is paste from US Report:
Ultrasound examination of the left breast was performed utilizing real time scanning.   In the left breast at the 2 o'clock position there is a hypoechoic solid mass measuring 1.5 cm. This mass has heterogeneous echotexture and irregular margins. Ultrasound guided biopsy is recommended.  
IMPRESSION:  SOLID BREAST MASS.  RECOMMEND ULTRASOUND GUIDED BIOPSY.  
BIRADS CATEGORY 4:  SUSPICIOUS FINDING.  BIOPSY IS RECOMMENDED.
Keep in mind I was lying on my back during this US.
Went 2 days later for US guided biopsy tech had me on my right side and could not find anything in the 2 o'clock position. Was told to come back in 6 months. Don't really know if I feel comfortable with this, I did ask the tech if it matters that I was on back for original US but she said no and when I told my primary nurse she said it does matter.
Should I get 2nd opinion?
What you need is the breast biopsy that was advised after the reading of the films. Make an appointment with a Breast Specialist / Breast Surgeon ... you films will be reviewd and an appropriate type of biopsy will be done if necessary. I do think it is necessary since the mass discovered was described as stated in your posting. I'm curious if this was the same institution ... Mammogram/Ultrasound and attempted biopsy. A technician would NOT have been doing the biopsy ... this would have been a Radiologist or Surgeon. Definitely get that additional opinion and get that biopsy done !! Regards ...
Yes it was all at same Medical Center but different techs. The tech for second US was assisting the breast surgeon, but before the procedure was to take place tech was looking for mass on US. And Breast Surgeon was aware I was on back for first US. I have made appt with different Center and have all my images and reports to be looked at. Thanks for your posting. I hate feeling as if I'm over reacting.
I don't think for one minute that you are over reacting .... the folks at the Medical Center should be thankfun that it was you and not me !! Please do continue until you get an answer or at least some results. That last event sounded a bit ridiculous to me especially since it was the same institution. Even if (and you definitely are not) you were over reacting this is a good place to do it. With a reading such as you received there is NO over reaction. Please let us know what happens next. Regards .....
Hi there

Just popping in to completely agree with japdip.

In matters like this, there is no overreacting at all!

A mass was found, and a time period of 6 months is simply far too long to wait to get answers which only a biopsy can give. In all honesty, I am quite disgusted with your first medical centre for suggesting that you can wait for such a length period  
A second opinion at another centre was a very wise move, well done.

Keep in the back of your mind that if a mass is found, it has an 80% chance of being benign. Sending you my very best wishes
Thank you for replies, I won't feel so pathetically bothersome at my appt knowing that ladies like you agree with me. I will definitely keep you posted my appt isn't till the 27th of March.
It's terrible to feel you are being bothersome when everything you are doing and have done is 100% spot on and so very glad that we were able help in this regard.
Do let us know what happens as I remember each poster and always wait to hear the results with fingers crossed. They can get a little cramped if we never hear back so no cramping my fingers! :)

In all seriousness though, wishing the very best news for you

Lani