Breast Cancer Community
3 Needle Aspirations 2 Lumps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

3 Needle Aspirations 2 Lumps

I am 31 and one month ago I awoke to a painful lump in my right breast. The next day I went to the doctors, and he said he wasn't sure if it was an infection or not, but that he would try Keflex and do a re-check. While the Keflex took away the pain and inflammation, the lump remains. I went to another docotor who did a FNA and was unable to get anything so he has set me up with a specialist for Monday. Now I have a new lump, same breast, red skin and painful. He did another FNA and when that didn't get anything, he went to a larger needle. I saw that he had blood in the syringe. He said he knows he was in the lump and that it was solid. Going crazy waiting for Monday.
It most probably would be a cystic lump or breast abscess. Most lumps are non cancerous and painful lumps are less likely to be cancerous. Try and relax and discuss with your physician what he thinks about the lump. Is this lump and pain related to your menstrual cycle? Have you got a mammogram or USG done for the lump? Do you have a family history of cancer? Wait for the reports to come in and then decide the further management plan with your physician. Goodluck.
Quite a while back I noticed a blackhead on the inner part of my left breast.  I used to squeeze it from time to time and it would always go away.  In time a lump began to form under the blackhead and after squeezing it, it would always reduce in size.  This occured for almost a year and when I realised it wasn't ever going to go away, I stopped squeezing it and the lump increased in size (flat, oval pea size).

I went to my local GP and he advised that it was s......... cyst (not sure of the medical term used; just remember that it started with an "s") and that it was nothing to worry about.  It could also get removed surgically (only) if it began to bother me.  It did seem larger a few months later so I went to another GP for a second opinion.  He basically told me the same things as the first GP (I wish I could remember the medical term he used for this type of cyst).

One day I was in the bath and this cyst began secreting a watery, ***** substance on its own.  I tried not to squeeze it but to aid the release (pressure) of this substance, I stretched the skin around the lump (outwards) which seemed to work.  I woke up the next day with the lump looking swollen and red and feeling very uncomfortable (especially when I lay on my stomach), plus the area (skin) around the lump was red.  

It's been three days since then and nothing much has changed.  I'm really worried about this so please could you give me an idea of what it could be, whether it's something to be concerned about or not, how I should deal with this (bearing in mind that the breast clinic here are back-logged until May for bookings) and what over the counter medication/vitamins I can use/take that specialise in breasts, breast infections, breast tissue, breast health, etc (anything temporary)?

I'm 36 years old turning 37 at the end of the year and most breast clinics here only take patients from the age of 40 unless by referral!  I also feel a bit aukward going back to my GP and asking him for a referral because it shows I don't trust what he's told me...Please help!

What does your ultrasound report say?

It would be advisable to consult a breast specialist and discuss about whether the cyst needs to be aspirated or fluid removed.

This could then be sent for a lab analysis. He/she would be able to advise you on the best plan of further management.

Have you noticed any abnormal features like a breast lump, nipple discharge or skin changes?

You should not hesitate in asking your GP for a referral.

Let us know what the breast specialist advises and also keep us posted on how you are doing.

Post us if you have any doubts.

Regards.
Hi and thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I haven't been for an ultrasound but went back to my doctor after Easter because the infection seemed to be getting worse.  I'm now on antibiotics as well as an inflamation (inflammation) painkiller.  My doctor's advised me to wait ten days and then we should discuss having this lump removed.  Do you think this would be minor procedure and should I let my doctor perform the surgery or insist on having a specialist see to it?

Regards.