Breast Cancer Community
3 cysts found during ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

3 cysts found during ultrasound

I'm 31 and recently had a mammogram. They performed another mammogram because they saw something in my right breast. They then did an ultrasound and the doctor said that there were 3 cysts. They were dark in color so she said they were fine because that meant they were fluid-filled and the edges were round and smooth. Should she have aspirated them just to make sure? I am worried that she isn't aspirating because she asked me how old I am and then said they were fine. Should I find another doctor to aspirate them just to make sure it's nothing.

Thank you,
1 Comment
Has your doctor called you for a repeat ultrasound in some time? The doctor is actually right, if the cysts are not causing any symptoms - any pain or pressure symptoms, they can be managed conservatively.
You need to continue your regular self breast exams and report any abnormal finding to your doctor. Also a repeat ultrasound should be done in the next 4-6 months to see whetehr the cysts are increasing, decreasing or remain the same in size.
Why were you advised to take the mammogram? Are there any palpable lumps on clinical examination? If so you need to note for any change in size.
The cysts need to be aspirated or removed in case of suspicion of infection, symptomatic, or malignancy etc.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.