Breast Cancer Community
37 year old going in for biopsy for breast calcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I guess I'm posting this to get some moral support, as I am completely in the dark about all of this. I went in for my first mammogram 6 months ago. The radiologist scheduled me for a 6 month followup because of calcifications. Last week when I went in for the followup they told me they wanted me to have a biopsy because there was a cluster that they couldn't be certain was benign. I just have such a bad feeling about this, and can't shake it. There is no family history of breast cancer, I am a non smoker, don't drink, and have never been overweight. These are the risk factors I was asked about, that's why i'm posting them here...  I am getting married this fall, and my fiance and I are eager to start a family, so you can imagine how this is just drowning me with worry. I know that most calcifications are benign, but the tone of my doctor's voice, when she called about the results, made me feel as though I was on death's doorstep. Well it's late, but I just decided to look for some support, as I'm so scared. Thank you all.
Tess
First off, don't put your cart before your horse.  Get your biopsy and then freak out...if necessary.

And remember, if you do end up having a diagnosis of cancer, it's in it's early stages and the cure rate is pretty high.  And cancer shouldn't stop your life's activities.  Get married, have babies (check on your ER/PR status, if it is positive, this will make a difference as to whether you do this naturally or by adoption....)... love life, live life...don't let this be a deterant to anything you want to achieve.

I know it's scary, but so is marriage!!!!  So is everything that's worth doing...and everything that is put in front of you as a challenge will make you a stronger person because of it.

Write back when you have your results from the biopsy.  You are very fortunate to have found this early.  You'll be ok.  Take fiance with you to the results so that he can hear what the doc has to say.

Celebrate life, it's the only one we've got!
Good luck to you,
Lisa
I'm in the same situation as you.  They called me back for a 2nd mammogram and said that I needed a biopsy for a microcalcification.  I'm getting all kinds of thoughts on it...some say very little chance for cancer, the doctor said 25%, the person who calls with results said 10%.  I'm 42 and have a 5 year old and a 7 year old.  My 5 year old has special needs....I'm so worried....how will she make it without her Mom.  I'm trying not to be negative, but everything I've read says calcifications are rare in folks my age unless they are cancer.  Have another week or so to wait even for the biopsy.

Ugh!

Laurel