Breast Cancer Community
5-6 cm mass with microcalcifications what could it be?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am 32 years of age and found a large mass about 5-6 cm! about a month ago in my right breast. said to be a birads4 think itsa called. It is solid and seems to be of an odd shape. I have had multiple mammograms for diagnosis and they also found clusters of microcalcifications. They sceduled me with an oncolagist who set up for my steriotactic biopsy  which was performed several days ago now.
I go back to the oncologist in 4 days for the results.
    The first visit he was just simply examining it and then didn't say much except if its cancer we will cut it out and put you on Tamoxifin (tamoxifen)  and if not we will just put you on Tamoxifin (tamoxifen) anyways for 5 years and leave it and see.
    My question is how often is a solid mass of this large size 5-6 cm found along with the cluster microcalcifications? and is something of this size usually benign or cancer with the symptoms stated. It does not hurt one bit and is extremely hard. Seems to be taller then wider. I am very worried because from what I read something of this size that is cancerous seems to fall into the more agressive stage 3 or 4. Could I already be very bad off with this? Any imput would be helpful thank you.
If this large mass occured in just a month or two i would doubt that cancer would be involved. It is certainly possible though and you will just have to wait for your biopsy results. To me it sounds more like a Fibroadenoma but the internet is no place to make a diagnosis; that's what films and biopsies are for. There are many more factors than size involved in Staging and even that can change before and after surgery. I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions this early. All microcalcifications do not indicate a cancerous condition.  Regards ....
  Well had appointment and things are not good. Pathology report reads as follows...
    show areas of grade 2 invasive intraductal carcinoma with adjacant areas of cancerization of the lobules and grade 2 intraductal carcinoma with focal comedo-like necrosis. Focal area of atypical lobular hyperplasia are also notes. the area of tumor is within marked area. The non marked areas show focal areas of intraductaal cacinoma and cancerization of the lobules and a few areas of somewhat crushed invasive carcinoma.  
    This sounds really bad. Any one have any information on this as this is very confusing to me. Awaiting my period now so I can have MRI 5t6o help further staging and lymph node status as well as tumor size. ANy imput would be great..... Lucky me
I am sorry that you have received the dx of BC. I have sent you a private message sharing some of my thoughts...
I am sorry, too. You are still so young, and that always seems like an added hardship to me. but treatment has gotten so much better and easier these days. You will get through it. MRI is not that great at stating the truth about lymph node involvement I have been told and mine did not show up. They will know most after the surgery. All the best and keep us informed, OK? Kat
Oh, and I had a huge lump grow that fast as well.