Breast Cancer Expert Forum
5 or 10 year survival rate

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

5 or 10 year survival rate

Every place I read,  the cancer survival rate is given for 5 years.  My oncologist gave me a 10 year survival estimate.  I would like your opinion.  I know it will just be an average, general opinion, but I am curious as to why he gave me a 10 year rate.  Was he making it sound better for me, or what?

MY CASE:  I am 69 . I had a left breast mastectomy in April this year.  It was 5 CM, lobular, a little having spread to  the ducts also I understand. (All this happened between yearly mammograms)
Fifteen lymph nodes were removed, with 14 showing positive.
My breast surgeon said that the margins were clear.  My breast was  very large, so there was good tissue around and under it.
Four  days after the mastectomy,  I had a chest xray,  bone scan and cat scan, all of which came out clear.
I am being treated by an oncologist in a large city in the Cancer care section of the hospital. I am having chemo, ( have had 3 out of a total of 8) then radiation, then the cancer pill. (I am Estrogen positive) My blood work after the Ist two chemos came out normal, and I seem to be doing O.K.
MY SPECIFIC QUESTION IS : I was told I have an estimate of a 50% chance of the cancer not returning in a ten year time frame. What would this be in a 5 year time frame?
Thanks for your reply!
Dear Seven7, A survival rate is a statistical index, which summarizes the probable frequency of a specific outcome for a group of patients at a particular point in time.  Different methods may be used to compute rates so they are not directly comparable with each other. Depending on the source used the time frame and numbers could be different.  Five-year survival rate for Stage 2A or 2B cancer based on our source is noted at approximately 65%.  This is a number based on a group of patients, and does not translate literally to the individual.  These and other statistics are helpful when used generally to make recommendations and decisions regarding treatment, but how an individual will respond to treatment is influenced by many factors that are not captured by the statistic.
I would like to comment that recurrence rate is not the same as survival rate.  Most doctors quote the 5 year survival rate based on past statistics but it does not mean that those who survive after 5 years do not have a recurrence during the time. Some doctors even quote the 5 year survival rate as cure rate which does not make sense. If someone has a recurrence in 5 years, but survive or still fighting the disease, that person can't be considered as cured.
Interesting - I had pretty much the same size tumour and number of positive nodes, also ER+, and was given the same treatment. I was told my cancer was Stage III, with a 45-50 percent survival rate at 5 years.
Oops - I should have mentioned I'm about 15 years younger, so maybe that accounts for the difference in our prognoses.
This is Seven7 again.  I looked at my report by my Oncologist and he said I had a 50% chance of it not RECURRING again in 10 years.  
I see where that is different from SURVIVAL or CURE rate now.
I had wondered about that.  I guess that is a pretty good chance of no recurrance, since I had a Stage 3 situation.  
I certainly have a lot of life I would like to live yet---  much to look forward to.
Thanks for your replies!
I had Lobular cancer a year ago and had to have a total mastectomy of the right breast and 20 lymph nodes removed. I had cancer in the main lymph node under my arm. I had Chemo and Radation. My cancer was a stage 2B to 3. I want to know what are my chances of it coming back to the other breast or someplace else in my body. My doctors don't tell me much.
Can you please give me the survival rates for Stage 2 B cancer for 10 years? Also, can you give me information as to from where to get it? I have been trying to get that info and I end up having 5 years rates. I can't find 10 years rates anywhere.
Thanks.
Thanks.My e mail address: ***@****
A related discussion, Data for Survival Rates was started.
A related discussion, Herceptin how it works after cancer tumors are removed was started.