Breast Cancer Community
6mm Nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

6mm Nodule

In about the past 6 months my left breast has almost doubled in size and recently started having pain in mt breast bone and when I move a certain way, the pain shoots al the way to my collarbone. I went in last week and had a mamagram and an ultrasound done. When the test was completed, the nurse told me everything was fine and I should schedule an appointment on my way out for 6 months. I received a call today from the surgery scheduler today saying there was a 6mm nodule and I needed to have a ultrasound core biopsy done. I have never had experience with anyone having breast cancer and I don't know if this is something I should be alarmed about. Is it possible or probable that I could have cancer. I am 40 years old. I have alot of questions that need to be answered and next Wednesday seems like a lifetime away.

This discussion is related to mammogram shows problem 6mm nodular density with spiculated margin woried!.
You could indeed have a cancerous nodule but you could also have a benign nodule. The biopsy will give you the answers to this question. A biopsy is the ONLY way to determine the nature of any abnormal finding in the breast. One important thing to remember for the future is that only the Radiologist that reads your films can tell you if everything is alright or if something needs further investigation. We are always concerned when something isn't right and we all worry about it. Everyone says the waiting is the worst but it's something that we must learn to do as patiently as possible. The pain you describe may have nothing to do with the nodule that was found on Mammogram. Please feel free to ask whatever concerns you regarding your biopsy.   Regards....
Waiting is hell! However this short time will make no difference to the outcome so try and relax. The core biopsy is a little uncomfortable but perfectly bearable as you will have a local anaesthetic. Very soon you will know. There is nothing to fear but the fear itself... Lots  can be done these days even if the result is +ve. Hang in there and good luck