Breast Cancer Community
6mm nodule in breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

6mm nodule in breast

i was told i need a breast biopsy for a 6mm nodule in left breast.  I have a mamogram (mammogram) in march that showed two cysts.  said i need a follow-up at 6mos.  which i did this past week.  now i need a biopsy for one of the cyst.  it is 6mm .  Did i wait to long should have had the biopsy in march instead of sept.  pls adv ised

This discussion is related to 6 mm lump.
I'm sorry to hear you need a biopsy, but please don't stress too much over this. If the radiologist felt a biopsy was necessary six months ago, he/she would have recommended it right then. Radiologists are usually very experienced at reading mammos and know when something looks suspicious and when something just needs to be watched.It's very common to watch lumps or other changes for six months and then biopsy if warranted. Also, statistically, most lumps that are biopsied are benign,so try not worry over the "what ifs". Even if it's not negative, worrying won't change anything and it'll be found very early with good chances of recovery. 6 mm is a very small lump. Be sure to ask your doctor about any questions you may have regarding the procedure, what can be expected and what the results mean. He/she will know your personal history and medical conditions and be in the best position to answer all your questions.
Please try to stay positive (I know it's hard---I've been there--3 times in the past 6 years)
and I'm hoping for benign results for you. Sending you a big hug (    ),
nc
Thank you so much for responding at this difficult time.  To think a total stranger would take the time to write me is most appreciative.  I will keep you posted on my progress.
mcgovern
You're very welcome---I'm glad to help and I hope it makes you feel a little better.  I 've gotten so much information, help and support here from so many wonderful women and this is my way of giving back just a little.
Keeping my fingers crossed for benign results and looking forward to hearing from you again,
nc