Breast Cancer Community
8 months out from lumpectomy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

8 months out from lumpectomy

I, at age 58, had a lumpectomy last April.  This February mammogram looks free of cancer, and I had a (rather late) follow-up with the April surgeon, also this February. Outlook is good; I am elated.  Still, I have some soreness in that breast. It seems like, perhaps, the few nodes that were removed might let fluid collect?  Or, I have a very physical job and some tissue is no longer there.  The surgeon did an exam and everything seemed good.  He did think the tissue was a little more dense than the other breast, but that could be results of the radiation.He thinks that it is important to not only self-exam, but have one of my doctors also do a breast exam every three to six months for the next two years following the lumpectomy. I'm on an aromatase, with manageble side effects.  What do you think?  I feel my energy has come back, and was so happy at the mammogram. I guess I don't know how to explain the soreness.

This discussion is related to post lumpectomy, radiation, and chemotherapy soreness.