Breast Cancer Community
A Lump or a Boil?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

A Lump or a Boil?

What's the difference between boils and lumps? I found a lump under my left breast. I don't know if its a boil or not. I'm diabetic so I always get boils. However; this one is under my breast and my breast is swollen. Any suggestions?
It's rather difficult for you or any of us to recognize the difference between a benign lump and something more serious without examination .
The symptoms of breast boils are red and inflamed skin along with a swelling in the breast.Since you are diabetic,there is a strong possibility that the lump under your breast could be a boil or an abscess which can appear in your breast as well as on any other part of your body.Whether it's an infection or something else, you need to have it checked out by your doctor soon so that it can be treated .
All the best..
All the best..
Thanks for the information. I was worried because my mom had breast cancer and it runs in our family. So I had to be sure because it takes several months to see the doctor because the doctor is usually booked with appointments. I'll watch it. Usually if it's a boil it grows and get sore and red. I haven't seen this one do like the others that's why I been concern.
You welcome!
I think you should do your best to make an appointment with your doctor.You could ask the secretary if there are any cancellations from other patients so you can see your doctor earlier.
The lump in your breast should be checked out especially because it does not look like the boils you previously had.
You know that a strong family history of breast cancer can put you at a higher risk of developing the disease.Also you should talk to your doctor who can help you find out if your family history of cancer is of concern.If necessary,your doctor may refer you to a family cancer clinic or genetic counseling service.
If you can't get an appointment with your doctor soon,try calling your local hospital and ask to speak to a social worker who will be able to advise you where to go to have at least a screening mammogram or ultrasound in your community.
Please do whatever it takes to make sure that nothing is left to chance okay?.
Take care...