Breast Cancer Expert Forum
A 'blister' on my breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

A 'blister' on my breast

On the side of my left breast, about  2 inches from the areola, I have what looks like a 1/2 inch, donut shaped swelling with what appeared to be a blood blister in the middle of it. It's tender, somewhat itchy and the skin sheds from it  every few days. Today in the shower, I kept the hot water on it for a while and the blood came right to the surface. I lifted the breast to see it and with very little pressure on it a burst of grey fluid came from it. It looked like blood mixed with pus.  It's been there a couple of weeks and that has never happened upon inspection of it before. I have had a couple of things that looked and acted somewhat similar under my left armpit and now I'm starting to get concerned that it might be a form of melanoma or breast cancer. Any ideas? I'm going to my midwife on Monday to see if she has any ideas but thought I'd get another opinion out here and found this site. If it matters, I am still breastfeeding my 3-year old, and with his sister have been nursing a total of 5 1/2 years. Thank you. Nancy
Dear nanmama, It is difficult to say what this is without further evaluation, it sounds like a blood blister that had just come to a head, and sounds more like a skin problem than a cancer problem.  However, having it checked out is a good idea.
it sounds more like a skin problem than a breast problem, and doesn't sound at all like melanoma. But it's never possible accurately to diagnose such a thing on line. You are doing right by having it inspected, although I'm not sure a midwife would be the best person to evaluate a skin process. Seeing your doctor would make more sense to me.
Forgive me for being blunt, but I would go to a breast surgeon ASAP.  It is probably nothing, but only a specialist in breast cancer surgery is qualified to diagnose such a problem.  Midwives have a specific speciality, but breast cancer isn't one of them. Better safe than sorry. Go to a specialist!!!!
A related discussion, Blister on breast was started.
A related discussion, blister on left side of breast was started.