Breast Cancer Expert Forum
AC T statistics

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

AC T statistics

I've seen statistics comparing AC+T and TAC to CMF on the basis of 10 yr. survival. How can they compare AC+T and and TAC to CMF on 10 yr. survival when, to my knowledge, AC+T and TAC haven't been around that long?
Dear Franciscus:  You are correct that the clinical trials evaluating "AC+T" (Adriamycin and Cytoxan followed by Taxol) and "TAC" (Taxotere, Adriamycin and Cytoxan) are too recent to report 10 year results.  In addition, neither of these regimens have been directly compared to "CMF" (cytoxan, methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil) but rather to other regimens that have been compared to CMF.  It is, therefore, impossible to make direct comparisons of these regimens at 10 years.  On the other hand, it is possible to estimate risk-reduction at 10 years using various statistical models and, indirectly, can get a sense of the approximate anticipated benefit of each of the regimens based on their performance at an earlier time period.  The comparisons you have seen are likely using models to predict recurrence risk at 10 years based on the characteristics of the cancer and the relative benefit of the chemotherapy regimens as observed in clinical trials.
There is so much "noise" in the various chemotherapy treatment statistics, it makes it very difficult to base a chemotherapy treatment decision on those statistics. There is little else to base decisions on, apparently. I guess one has to get second and third opinions from trusted and experienced oncologists and go form there. Thanks.
I just read an article in from the last big oncology meeting, I think it was in Orlando.  Anyway, they said they are finding that women who did Taxotere in addition to AC as opposed to just AC or AC with 5-Fu are 26% less likely to have a recurrence.  I don't understand all this % stuff, but do think that is pretty significant.  This was comparing the 2 over a 5 year period of time.  Also, from what my oncologist told me taxotere maybe has only been on the market for 8-9 years (now)however, there are many clinical studies done on these drugs for several years before they are actually approved.  I think orginally it was just given for met. bc.  
This is just based on what I've been told and have read.  I just thought you might like to hear anoter version.  I think the bottom line is if given the choice you should add either taxotere or taxol to your chemo regimen.