Breast Cancer Community
ADH without surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

ADH without surgery?

My pathology report shows that I have moderate ADH.  Consulted with a breast surgeon and a surgical biopsy to remove ADH was recommended.  Although I have a sibling who is a doctor.  She consulted with a breast surgeon at her hospital who recommended that I just keep the condition monitored.  From reading some of the posts, sounds like most of you gone through with having surgery to remove the atypical cells/tissues.  Also sounds like quite a few ADH eventually turned into cancer.  I am just on the fence about having surgery because I have small breast and if no cancer is found, I will have scared my body for nothing ....  But then do I run the risk of cancer later on if I don't have the surgery?? I just turn 40 and have no family history so this is very puzzling and new to me.
It's true that ADH is NOT cancer,but a condition where there is an "overgrowth" of cells (Hyperplesia) within the duct and these cells look "abnormal" ( Atypical)
Your Surgeon recommended removal of the affected tissue,because his/her decision is based on the fact that there is a significant chance of invasive cancer near the ADH that may have been missed by the original biopsy.Over the course of your lifetime, if the atypical hyperplasia cells keep dividing and become more abnormal, your condition may be reclassified as carcinoma in situ (DCIS) or noninvasive breast cancer.
In my opinion, your Surgeon is taking the proper steps dealing with your situation.Since 2 Surgeons have given you different recommendations and you don't know how to proceed,I would if I were you, seek a third opinion from a Breast Specialist/Surgeon.This way, it will be much easier for you to make the right decision.
Best wishes...
I diagnosis of ADH has different methods of treatment as you have discovered and the choice is yours to make.

John Hopkins is a very reputable center who advises monitoring. I believe they even have a monitoring program set up and here is the link so you can have a read

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/avon_foundation_breast_center/treatments_services/breast_cancer_diagnosis/breast_ovarian_surveillance_service_genetic_testing/index.html

I understand totally that you wish for your breasts to remain free of scarring or procedures so perhaps if you can find a clinic that provides you with full monitoring support, it will give you the peace of mind to move forward.

Best wishes

Thank you so much for both of your great advise and support!!