Breast Cancer Expert Forum
ADH
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ADH

I was just told that I need a lumpectomy after my breast biopsy revealye ADH.  Have you heard about a product called Mangosteen?  I know you are Drs. and not homeopaths but what would be the downside to trying this product before more invasive treatment?

Thanks so much
Monica
Related Discussions
242529_tn?1292452814
Dear Monica,   Atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) is a condition in which there is an overgrowth of cells within the duct and the pattern of their growth is atypical. It is not cancer or precancer but its presence is considered to increase a person's risk for developing breast cancer in the future.  The area of ADH is usually removed as a part of a biopsy and close follow-up (with mammography and breast exam) is the extent of treatment.  The decision to remove more tissue is based on the concern that there is a significant chance of invasive cancer near the ADH that may have been missed by the original biopsy.

Mangosteen is a plant native to Southeast Asia.  Despite claims by several marketers, the efficacy and safety of mangosteen products for cancer treatment in humans have not been established.  For additional information about this we are including a link to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center website. They have a section with information about herbs, botanicals and other products which includes a document about mangosteen.  Here is the link:  http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm.  

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank