Breast Cancer Expert Forum
ADH

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

ADH

I was just told that I need a lumpectomy after my breast biopsy revealye ADH.  Have you heard about a product called Mangosteen?  I know you are Drs. and not homeopaths but what would be the downside to trying this product before more invasive treatment?

Thanks so much
Monica
Dear Monica,   Atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) is a condition in which there is an overgrowth of cells within the duct and the pattern of their growth is atypical. It is not cancer or precancer but its presence is considered to increase a person's risk for developing breast cancer in the future.  The area of ADH is usually removed as a part of a biopsy and close follow-up (with mammography and breast exam) is the extent of treatment.  The decision to remove more tissue is based on the concern that there is a significant chance of invasive cancer near the ADH that may have been missed by the original biopsy.

Mangosteen is a plant native to Southeast Asia.  Despite claims by several marketers, the efficacy and safety of mangosteen products for cancer treatment in humans have not been established.  For additional information about this we are including a link to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center website. They have a section with information about herbs, botanicals and other products which includes a document about mangosteen.  Here is the link:  http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm.