Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Abnormal breast CT scan

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Abnormal breast CT scan

Thank you for your time.  I was recently hospitalized due to an accident that broke my back.  I had multiple images to look for injuries.  I inadvertently came across a written CT report that was not mentioned to me, but is concerning.  
I am a 39y.f.  The report states:
A 2cm hypodense left round retroareolar mass and a 1.5cm hyperdense lateral left breast mass.  The latter most likely represents a cyst.  The former may represent benign or malignant tumor.  
I can clearly feel the lump.  It has been over 2 months since this report.
Can you recommend a next step, and help me understand the report?  What are the odds of this being a malignancy?
Thank you again for your expertise.
Dear TCM:  A CT scan is not generally the best test for identifying or characterizing breast abnormalities.  However, since something was seen (and you now feel a lump), our recommendation is that you see your doctor for a breast examination.  In addition, a mammogram and/or ultrasound may help clarify the situation and provide direction in terms of next steps.  It will be beneficial to bring the CT scan and the report to your appointment.
Please do not wait any longer, and get a mammo gram.
I missed my mammogram in 05 and 06 and now I have a lump that is 4 CM.
I wish you luck.