Breast Cancer Community
Abnormal cells

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Abnormal cells

I am a 58 yr. old that has had fibercycist breast from a very young age, now my mammagram has came back showing something, so we done the needle biopsy a wk. ago.  My doctor thought it was scar tissue from a 1991 biopsy and it was, but then another spot came back abnormal cells, now it's back to have another biopsy, but was told there is no tumor or lump and he would have to use a "needle lope"  can anyone tell me anything about this procedure?  My breast is already black and blue from the last biopsy.  I am sure it will be cleared by the 15th.  Just not looking forward to anything new.. I hope someone can explain this procedure.
Thanks so much
From what I have read the biopsy you are facing is for very tiny almost you can't see type's of areas. There was something mentioned on this sight from back in 2006. Do a search and see if you can find it..So breathe!!! Most Cancer shows up VERY black on the mamograms and on the ultra sounds like mine did...And there is NO dought what it is!!! Or there is significant changes in your breast like it's swollen and inflamed. or has orange peel look to it...
Calleen
Hi Calleen,
There isn't a tumor nor cyst, just when he done the biopsy last week one spot in my left breast showed abnormal cells.  My doctor said he wanted to go in and remove the cells, but needed to use the needle lope to mark the spot.  I had 3 bio's on both breast because of a spot that showed up during mammagram.  The spots were just scar tissue from old bio's..but the abnormal cells were not close to the scar tissue.  I was just wondering about the needle lope thing.. I've had the ultra sound done twice also.  My doctor said he and the pathologist both looked at the cells under the mircoscope and didn't like the way they looked.
Thanks Calleen, have a nice afternoon..
Your Welcome... I hope it all turns out good for you...
It sounds like that "needle lope" that you're describing is a needle or wire localization.
It's a fairly common technique in which a fine, ultra thin needle or wire is inserted to mark the area on the breast that is to have the biopsy or surgical procedure performed. Diagnostic imagery is used to locate and position the needle. And, a local anesthetic is used on the site where the needle is to be applied. From my experience, it was a quick and painless process. Good luck with the biopsy.
Yes my surgeon said a wire.  It just sounded well yucky painful.. and he said it would be done in the hospital.  My poor breast are black and blue from the needle biopsy already.. now this.  Well needless to say I am not looking forward to this, but will be glad to get it over and to find out about the abnormal cells.  Thanks butterfly.. have a blessed night.
Ann