Breast Cancer Community
Abnormal mamma and US

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Abnormal mamma and US

I have no idea what all this means.
First a little history, I am 38 years old (female), I have had to get mammograms since I was 22 because of a strong family history on both my mom and dad’s side of the family. My mom and both of my grandmothers have had and survived breast cancer. My dad passed in June of lung cancer at 57 years old. My mom had breast cancer at 41. My sister is now going through the same work up I am, her routine mammo came back abnormal. I am on HRT (when I remember to take them) because I have had a fulll Hysterectomy.
I did regular mammo’s until November 2009; the radiologist stated I did not have to come back for 5 years. I thought that was odd, but I was excited, I almost felt “normal.” A month ago I felt a lump in my breast, it feels like a piece of rice, does not move, and is hard. I went to the doctor; he immediately made an appointment with a surgeon and sent me for the diagnostic mammo. The Radiologist did an ultra sound after the mammo. It is abnormal and the report I receive says:
The breasts are moderately dense bilaterally. Some parenchymal asymmetry is seen. No dominant speculated mass or suspicious grouped calcifications are seen.
Targeted left breasts ultrasound was performed and shows a 6X3X6 mm region of slightly indistinct margins, slightly lobular in appearance, at the 1 o’clock position left breast in the region of stated palpable abnormality.
IMPRESSION: Hypoechoic non-simple cystic mass at the 1 o’clock position left breast, best seen on sonography, but not seen on mammography. The possibility of a complicated cyst or small tissue neoplasm is considered. Further evaluation with tissue sampling is suggested.
BIRAD-4
I do see the surgeon Thursday. I guess I was expecting a biopsy and aggressive action, which they have done, but I was not expecting the report I received. Is this a common report or should I be worried?
I certainly wouldn't say it is common or I could say it's all too common but neither means anything in your case. I must comment on one thing you stated .. the taking of HRT .... this is rarely advised for any length of time since it has been proven that this is a huge risk factor for developing Breast Cancer !!! Aside from the breast issue that you now face I would advise you to discuss this seriously with whomever prescribed it. Now on to the results of your testing and the finding that exists. You are very wise to take immediate steps to obtain a diagnosis of this questionable mass. I don't think I would agree with the 5 year interval between Mammograms in light of your family history as well as the fact that you have been on HRT for some length of time. Good luck with your Surgical appointment ... please let us know your biopsy results and feel free to return with any additional questions or concerns you may have. Regards ...
Thank you for your reply. I have recently switched doctors and he made a comment about the HRT, I have an appointment coming up with him and he told me that is something he wants to discuss with me. He squeezed me in, he is my friends doctor, and she called and told him I had felt the lump. He got the ball rolling on my lump, I have a new patient consult with him next week. I will keep you posted and thank you!
That's good news, I'm glad to hear it. Sounds like you are definitely on the right track ... Take care