Breast Cancer Community
Additional test on Right Breast Only....Why and Should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Now that Im 40yrs old (natural large  breast), had my first mammogram.  Within less then 24hrs, I rcvd a call stating they want additional test on my right breast only.  They want to do a Bilateral Diag. and Breast Ultrasound.  Should I be concerned?
The fact that you have been called back, is very common! This additional spot compression mammogram you'll be having is used to pinpoint the exact size and location of any breast abnormality.Very often it clarifies things and confirms that all is okay.
The purpose of a spot compression mammogram, is to achieve better imaging ,especially if you have dense or large breasts, which makes it more difficult for the radiologist to interpret the findings.This could be simply overlapping tissue causing a density or shadow to appear when views are taken..A spot compression will often smooth out the tissue and the "density" will disappear,but if it does not,then an Ultrasound would follow and perhaps a biopsy ( if necessary )to obtain a correct diagnosis.
I hope that you'll have nothing to worry about and wishing you all the best!
Thank you very much.  I posted another question, with my exact mammogram findings.  If possible can you view my other posting and reply?  THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Hi again,
I copied your second post in here,because it makes it much easier for us to have all your information together.
                                        ------------------------------
By harmonyseadog | 1 hour.
I recently rcvd my mammogram results, and they are calling me back for additional test.  My results from the mammogram show: Right Breast 5m round asymmetry CC view medial middle third right breast and Similar 6mm asymmetry superior middle third right breast MLO view.  Can you shed some light on what these results mean?  Have 3 more days until my other testing is done, and Im going crazy not knowing anything.  I appreaciate your immediate response.  Thanks
                                  ----------------------------------
So to answer your question, if a mammogram finds that there is an asymmetric density, this usually means that an area of the breast is obscured and appears as a shadow.
As I said in my previous comment this could simply be breast tissue that folded over on itself.
Asymmetric density,whether it's palpable or not, could mean a lot of things and doesn't necessarily point to cancer.It is very hard to tell at this point if what was detected in your breast is an abnormality or just a natural occurrence due to hormonal fluctuation..
Try not to panic,because most often than not, asymmetric densities result in benign findings and I wish you the same outcome.
All the best...

P.S Please let us know about your results by adding your future posts on this same thread.Thank you.