Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Adenopathy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Adenopathy

When I went to my Dr. for my yearly pap, etc. she noticed a lump at the 10 o'clock position of the outer quadrant of my right breast. She tried to let me feel it, but I couldn't really tell what I was feeling. I have fibrocystic breasts and she said that my left side was normal that this lump felt different from the other ones and was very deep. She had to press deeply to find it. She said that it could be an adenopathy. I know the lump isn't cyclic as I had a complete hysterectomy 3 years ago at the age of 25. I do have a swollen area in my arm pit that my daughter noticed about 3 weeks ago, but I dismissed it as fatty tissue, but the left one doesn't have the same swollen characteristics as the right. What exactly is adenopathy and is it supposed to be deep like my Dr. described. She is referring me to a surgeon as well as for a mammogram amd u.s. She wants the mammogram regardless to use as a baseline before she puts me on estrogen. Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Dear momcat30:  Adenopathy refers to a lymph node or nodes that are swollen.  Lymph nodes can be swollen for a variety of reasons such as infection but also can be swollen in some cancers.  In terms of your situation, the mammogram and ultrasound will help to determine the nature of this "lump" and guide the surgeon in making the appropriate recommendations as to the "next step."
adenopathy means an enlarged lymph node. It's unusual to feel an enlarged node within the breast itself: she could have said adenoma, meaning fibroadenoma which is a harmless and common tumor in young women. Enlarged lymph nodes in the underarm are quite common, and in the vast majority of cases it's due to harmless causes. Seeing a breast surgeon should help sort it out. The odds are it's no big deal. Meanwhile, a baseline mammogram in a 28 year old is unlikely to be very useful -- the tissues are so dense at that age that a million shadows show up and you can't tell much; although if you've been without hormones at all for 3 years it might be less so.
She did in fact say "adenopathy". But I do agree, I'll know more when I see the surgeon. Is it common though for the doctor to feel something that the patient doesn't?
I have been experiencing enlarged lymph nodes under the arms and the groin erea for over 2 mo.now.I went to the GP who thought she felt a lump in my right breast.I was referred to my OBGYN and had a ultrasound with neg results.My OB had no explanations and neither has my GP. I have taken 3rounds of antibiotics with no results.The lumps are painful, I thought they might br related to my thyroid - I'm Hypo ,but my endo had no explanations either.Any suggestions?