Breast Cancer Community
Adenosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Adenosis

I had a mammogram and a nodule was identified; I then had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy which resulted in a diagnosis of adenosis. The radiologist recommended a 6 month follow up mammogram. I have an increased risk due to immediate maternal family history related to breast cancer. I was given options to obtain a second opinion or proceed to have the nodule surgically removed. The radiologist informed me that there is always a possibility that in 6 months the nodule may grow with a rare chance of being diagnosed as malignancy. If there is any chance whatsoever that this may turn into cancer of any kind I must have it surgically removed. In your medical opinion, is there a chance? If there is chance, what is the percentage? I would rather go under the knife now than take the chance an be diagnosed with breast ca later in life. Please advise me.  Sincerely,
1 Comment
This is a benign condition and requires more than normal follow-ups; like the repeat mammogram in 6 months as in your case. If you are uncomfortable at all with waiting and watching then by all means have the nodule removed. If it were "gone" I'm sure you would be more content. Since you've been given this option I'd go for it and be done. You seem to indicate that you're thinking in this direction and I think I probably would also. Regards ....