Breast Cancer Community
Allergic Reaction to Taxotere

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Allergic Reaction to Taxotere

Taxotere Allergy:
I'm on my 3rd round of chemo treament (receiving Taxotare) and I recently noticed an ichy red rash with bumps all over my body (including my head and the palm of my hands). I went to my Oncologist today and she prescribed steroids for the symptoms.
Anyone else had this allergy from Taxotare?
Steroids are often given along with a medication that is causing side effects such as a rash, to allow you to continue the planned treatment.

However, if the reaction is very severe, or is even worse with your next round of this chemo, your oncologist made need to switch you to a different drug. My understanding is that some people can take Taxol (which is a very similar drug) without cross-sensitivity (that is, without the same type of allergic reaction).

Since you are concerned about the reaction you experienced, it would be a good idea to discuss your questions with your oncologist prior to you next scheduled treatment.

Best wishes...
Yes, I had a horrible rash on my face that was treated with antibiotics.  I had it a couple of times.  By my 5th and 6th treatment I was not getting the rash any longer.  Just the red, blushed cheeks from the Steroids.  GOOD LUCK to you.