Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Anti-nausea Medications

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Anti-nausea Medications

I just finished my 4th treatment of chemo (A&C) and will go on to the next 4 with Taxotere.  One problem I'm experiencing is the anti-nausea meds.  They all have artificial sweeteners (AS), including the over-the-counter ones, Pepto Bismol, etc.  I've never been able to tolerate the AS.  Any suggestions in this area?  So far I've just been riding it out.  Luckily, I am able to eat and it does help to keep the nausea in control.
Dear RhodaKay: There are many prescription anti-nausea medications.  I am certain that some, if not all, are free of AS.  Ask your doctor to prescribe you an antinausea medication.  It may be that you will be asked to describe the problem so that they can best prescribe for you.
there are many anti-nausea prescription meds in pill or suppository form which have no sweetners. Likewise, some over the counter meds such as dramamine.
Thanks for your input.  I've checked Zofran, Tigan, Compazine, Phenegran, Pepto-Bismol, Phillips Milk of Magnesia, etc. and they all have some form of artificial sweetner.  Dramamine chewable has aspartame and sorbitol in it.  I'll have to research the original formula further.  The problem is that the sweeteners have several different names and it's hard to keep them straight.
You might see if meclizine will work for you.  I use it for vertigo/nausea.  It is a generic, over-the-counter drug which is inexpensive.  You might have to ask the pharmicist (mine keeps it behind the counter) or have it ordered in.  Bonine is a name-brand of meclizine but may include other ingredients.  This site lists the ingredients of generic meclizine and I do not see an artificial sweetener listed:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/mecliz.htm

Just wanted to make a note that when I was looking up on the internet any problems/benefits with my daughter (who is underoing chemotherapy) using Pepto Bismol, that someone undergoing chemo shouldn't use it as it is just like taking aspirin.