Breast Cancer Community
Antibiotics and Inflamatory breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I was wondering if you have symptoms and are treated with antibiotics could symptoms come back 1 year later. 1 year ago I had signs of some kind of rash on my nipple..It lasted about 2 weeks and then I became ill with an osteomylitis in my jaw. I was hospitalized for 5 days. When I left the hospital my rash had started to clear up..I was given a pic line to keep administering the antibiotics at home for 6 weeks. Its been a year and latly I seem to be having some of the same symptoms. Its just itching right now no rash. I looked it up last night and saw that it could have been early signs of Inflamatory Breast cancer...I had a recent mammogram and had to have it rechecked but they said everything was ok. I have noticed some changes in my breast as well. Wjhat should I request from my dr?
1 Comment
IBC is an aggressive disease and is diagnosed by either a breast biopsy OR skin biopsy. It is sometimes not diagnosed if the only symptom is a reddened area of the breast and is confused with a simple breast infection. I doubt from your description that you had IBC .. there are other symptoms that present themselves and this growth is VERY rapid over just a few weeks. You may have had a breast infection since you say it did respond to a course of antibiotics and these infections do indeed return from time to time. I sugges that you see a Breast Specialist for some investigation as to the true nature of the rash that you say has returned. Regards .....