Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Appearance of Breasts - Veins/Colour change etc - Can anyone advise me?...

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Appearance of Breasts - Veins/Colour change etc - Can anyone advise me???

I am a 24 year old female who has noticed a few changes in my breasts over the past few months. On my right breast I have several areas where the skin looks red/purple and when I examine it more closely I can see that it the 'areas' are a collection of loads of small red/purple veins just under the skin. On my left breast I also have some of the veins but not as noticeable as my right breast but I do have some puckering of the skin on that breast though the skin is nice and smooth. Any ideas about what could be causing this? I have been experiencing breast tenderness and breast pain on and off for quite some now time. I do have large breasts and have put on quite a bit of weight over the 2 years due to taking depo provera which I am now off.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pamela x
Dear Pamela x:  Like every organ in the body, the breasts have a blood supply and it is normal to be able to visualize veins that may be close to the surface of the skin.  If this has changed or if there is true "puckering" or "dimpling" of the skin, you should be examined by a physician.
Hi, Many thanks for your fast response. The skin of my left breast does have the 'orange peel' effect as does my right breast but not as noticeable. Can I ask what else would cause this to happen? Could it be because I have put a lot of weight on? My breast went from a 36C to a 42D in about a year. Also, I dont know if it is related but I thought it might be worth mentioning that I have candidiasis under my breasts. Thanks.
I have just realized that in the mirror I have really purple veins. I don't see them while getting dressed but noticed tonight.Is that normal? Is it something that I should talk to my doctor or obgn. mY MOTHER had breast cancer is this a sign of it. Also if my mother had that what is my chances of getting it and what is the treatment for it.

thanks