Are enlarging calcifications dangerous?
In July 2006, at age 59, I was diagnosed with a stage zero focal residual ductal carcinoma in-situ, nuclear grade 2/3.  There was no invasive carcinoma identified. I had a lumpectomy  to remove the carcinoma and then radiation.  I took no medications.  I also had a  recall needle biopsy for increasing calcifications in the central right breast. These calcifications proved benign at the time. Two years later, the lumpectomy site is okay.  I have to have a needle biopsy in January however,because the calcifications  behind the nipple area have increased in size since my last mammogram in June.  I am trying to remain calm, however I am very concerned.  I know that if these calcifications prove to be malignant, I cannot have radiation again, only chemo.  What are the chances of these calcifications being malignant?
Calcifications group or cluster together indicating that the breast tissue is reacting to some abnormality within the breas. There is no way to speculate as to the cause of the enlarging microcalcifications ... it's the pattern of them that raises suspicion.  Good Luck with your biopsy ... keep us posted when you get your results.     Regards ....