Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Are these normal symptoms experienced after breast biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I hope someone can help me with the questions I have. On August 21st, 2008 I had a breast wire localization biopsy under general anesthesia.  A few days later I got an infection and was treated with antibiotics.  The infection was gone but my breast was swelling and very painful.  The physician said I had developed a hematoma and extracted about 60 cc's of dark blood.  Everything was going fine and about a week later my breast began swelling again and the pain was so bad and it was a weekend so I had to go to the emergency room for treatment.  The ER physician said I had another hematoma and extracted about 30cc's of dark blood.  I had done everything I was instructed to do after surgery by wearing a sports bra at all times and no heavy lifting.  About a week and a half later my breast began swelling again.  I went to my surgeon for a follow up and to remove stitches.  I did not see the Dr but was seen by the NP.  She informed me the bleeding was not rare and that she would draw off more blood to help relieve the pain.  I would not allow her to and she may very well have been trained in the procedure but I felt the physician should have done it.  Well, today is October 29th, I have a tangerine sized lump where the biopsy was done and am still having pain especially after lifting anything.  I am a nurse and lifting is a part of my job that cannot be eliminated.  My general physician has ordered an ultrasound for November 5th.  The results of the biopsy was microcalcifications.  I have had many nurses and doctors tell me 2 and possibly 3 hematomas were definately not normal.  I am tired of the pain but cannot take narcotics since I am back at work.  I would really appreciate any input from a physician or anyone who has had these problems.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Barbara
  • Hematomas (1 replies):
    It's been two weeks post-op since I had a lumpectomy in ...[more]
  • Breast Hematoma (1 replies):
    I have had a breast hematoma about the size of a quarter...[more]
  • Hematoma (2 replies):
    Hello, I had a small breast cyst aspirated yesterday and...[more]
  • Breast Hematoma (2 replies):
    When a lemon-sized hematoma was left in my breast after ...[more]
  • hematoma (1 replies):
    I had a breast biopsy which resulted in a good size hema...[more]
Dear Barbara:  Hematomas are a possible complication of any invasive procedure.  Of all complications, hematoma is probably one of the more common ones.  Hematoma results when there is bleeding into the tissue.  If a larger blood vessel were the source or if it is occurring simultaneously with a seroma, it may explain the size and apparent recurrence.  It is possible that this is one hematoma/seroma that has been drained twice with the source continuing to ooze.  A large hematoma/seroma can be painful.  Hematomas will resolve in time but it can be a long time (months).  The surgeon who did the biopsy may be best equipped to trouble shoot your situation as he/she is most familiar with what was done and what can be done to try to alleviate your discomfort.