Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Are these normal symptoms experienced after breast biopsy
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Are these normal symptoms experienced after breast biopsy

I hope someone can help me with the questions I have. On August 21st, 2008 I had a breast wire localization biopsy under general anesthesia.  A few days later I got an infection and was treated with antibiotics.  The infection was gone but my breast was swelling and very painful.  The physician said I had developed a hematoma and extracted about 60 cc's of dark blood.  Everything was going fine and about a week later my breast began swelling again and the pain was so bad and it was a weekend so I had to go to the emergency room for treatment.  The ER physician said I had another hematoma and extracted about 30cc's of dark blood.  I had done everything I was instructed to do after surgery by wearing a sports bra at all times and no heavy lifting.  About a week and a half later my breast began swelling again.  I went to my surgeon for a follow up and to remove stitches.  I did not see the Dr but was seen by the NP.  She informed me the bleeding was not rare and that she would draw off more blood to help relieve the pain.  I would not allow her to and she may very well have been trained in the procedure but I felt the physician should have done it.  Well, today is October 29th, I have a tangerine sized lump where the biopsy was done and am still having pain especially after lifting anything.  I am a nurse and lifting is a part of my job that cannot be eliminated.  My general physician has ordered an ultrasound for November 5th.  The results of the biopsy was microcalcifications.  I have had many nurses and doctors tell me 2 and possibly 3 hematomas were definately not normal.  I am tired of the pain but cannot take narcotics since I am back at work.  I would really appreciate any input from a physician or anyone who has had these problems.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Barbara