Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Areola Rash

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Areola Rash

Im 18 and at the end of last year i discovered a small rash around half the outside of my right areola (If that makes sense). It went away for all i know because i stopped taking notice of it however, a week or two ago I was dressing and it has reappeared, still covering the outside of my areola (same place as before) yet it has seemed to have become a little larger. It didnt bother me except for looking incredibly embarrassing until the other night it was quite itchy. What could this be? Do you think mayb a reaction to material or washing powder? Or something a little more serious??
Dear Alzer:  At your age, it is most likely to be some sort of skin irritation due to soap, laundry detergent or even clothing irritation.  If none of these things has recently changed, you might try some over the counter steroid cream in case it is eczema.  If it does not improve, you should have it checked out but it is most likely some sort of skin problem.
there is a rash that can be due to cancer, but it's nearly unheard of at your age, and it wouldn't have gone away for awhile. So it's some sort of skin problem. It could indeed be due to irritation: sometimes such things will improve if you find a bra that's only cotton where it touches the skin. It could be something like excema. You could try an over the counter steroid creme, like cortaid. If it doesn't clear up, it's best to have it checked out.
About the rash, I have a question, after my second mastectomy, I had a red, warm area the size of a saucer near the incision, both my surgeon and oncologist seem to think it would go away and/or it was due to a rubbing by my bra, it is about three months later and now the same saucer size red, warm area has moved to my abdomen, my only treatment is arimadex.  Is this any related to the cancer?
I had a rash on my nipple that itched like crazy.  It was extremly small (about 1-2mm) and my internist looked at it and said it was eczema.  I was told to try cortizone or neosporin; wear cotton and change my soap.  Thank God I didn't listen to my dr.  I went for a second opinion and found out after a biopsy I had Paget breast cancer.  It starts with a rash on the nipple.  Don't ignore this "rash", get a biopsy.
A related discussion, eczema was started.