Breast Cancer Community
Arimidex - Rash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Arimidex - Rash

I was diagnosed with IDC 3 cm in May 2007.  I have had lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation.   I have been taking Arimidex since 12/2007--about 6 weeks.  Almost from the very beginning, I have been having a rash.  The first rash started about 3 days after starting the medication and was on my neck and shoulders.  When this rash cleared, I developed a rash on my eyelids.  After taking the drug for about 4 weeks, I developed a small rash on my arm. This has now cleared.  However, yesterday I awoke with a rash on the breast around the lumpectomy area.  Also, the eyelids are also itching again.  I want to take this medication very badly for the obvious reasons, and this is the only side effect I have experienced so far.  I read that one of the side effects of this medication is a rash.  Is this normal?
Tags: arimidex
1 Comment
Avatar dr m tn
Hi.  Arimidex can cause rashes in 8 - 11% of those who take this drug. If the symptoms are mild, you may take anti-histamines to relieve the itching, but if the rashes are severe, you may need to shift to an equivalent drug like letrozole or exemestane.