Arimidex - Rash
I was diagnosed with IDC 3 cm in May 2007.  I have had lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation.   I have been taking Arimidex since 12/2007--about 6 weeks.  Almost from the very beginning, I have been having a rash.  The first rash started about 3 days after starting the medication and was on my neck and shoulders.  When this rash cleared, I developed a rash on my eyelids.  After taking the drug for about 4 weeks, I developed a small rash on my arm. This has now cleared.  However, yesterday I awoke with a rash on the breast around the lumpectomy area.  Also, the eyelids are also itching again.  I want to take this medication very badly for the obvious reasons, and this is the only side effect I have experienced so far.  I read that one of the side effects of this medication is a rash.  Is this normal?
Hi.  Arimidex can cause rashes in 8 - 11% of those who take this drug. If the symptoms are mild, you may take anti-histamines to relieve the itching, but if the rashes are severe, you may need to shift to an equivalent drug like letrozole or exemestane.