Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Arimidex and weight gain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Arimidex and weight gain

I have been on Arimidex for almost two years.  In that time, I have gained about 10 pounds.  I know that 10 percent of Arimidex users gain weight but I am curious if anyone else has experienced this weight gain also.  If so, did the initial weight gain stay constant or increase over time?  For example, I've only gained 10 pounds so far but should I look forward to 20 more?   Also, has anyone had any luck combatting the weight gain.  I have continued to exercise and eat healthy but that doesn't seem to make a difference.  Is there a diet or anything anyone would recommend?  I was on Tamoxifen for 3 years before and did not gain any signiifcant weight but my doctor felt Arimidex was a better medication for me. Thanks for your input.  I know the medication is helping me but it would be nice to have my clothes fit.
Proposed Answer:  It is not uncommon for women to gain weight while taking Arimidex.  The amount or weight can be variable.  Exercise and a good low fat diet are the best strategies to combat the problem.  
I've also been on Arimidex for two years.  I had gained weight before the medication and took an aggressive stance this past November and have lost 31 pounds with at least another 30 to go.  I do not attribute my weight gain to the Arimidex but have noticed an increase in aches and pains.  Ironically, my mother was on Tamoxifen for five years and did gain weight from that medication - I guess everyone is different.
A related discussion, Armidex:  How Long? was started.
A related discussion, femara vs arimidex was started.
A related discussion, My experience was started.