Breast Cancer Community
Arimidex vs Ferama

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Arimidex vs Ferama

After a mastectomy in late Oct for early stage, low grade ductal cd my oncologist started me on Arimidex. It took me 3 months to figure out why I have severe shortness of breath and coughing. I stopped taking it and they want me to take Ferama. The surgeon decided because of family history to do the mast. I was less than a cm, no nodes, early stage. Now that I've read the side effects for Ferama and still feel like **** from the mast. ie: pain, burning, swelling, I would just like to get back to normal and then decide if I want to take the Ferama.
My question is, does anyone know the percentage of any of these drugs keeping a reoccurance from happening? Is it really necessary right now or can I wait awhile and then decide. I am almost willing to risk it at this point so I can feel better.

Thanks for any help.
Lynn

No definite data is available regarding the percentatge of prevention of recurrence. But there are studies which prove that the drugs increase the disease free interval and prevent recurrence and also increase the survival rates.

It would be best to discuss this in details with your oncologist. You may talk to him about how much time you can take to decide and any other queries.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other queries.
Thank you for your answer. I was at my family doctore today and also my surgeon. They both agree with me so in April I guess I'll see how my new oncologist likes my thinking. The one that put me on Arimidex in Nov. retired so I have not met my new one yet.

Thanks again

Glad that the post was of some help to you. Also hope that you establish a comfortable rapport with your new oncologist.

Let us know how you are doing and also about how your appointment with the doctor goes.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Well, I had a phone call this afternoon  from the oncologist office that the chest xray I had yesterday was great. So the nurse informed me that the "new" oncoligist wanted me to start taking Ferama now. I reminded her that they told me last week I would be able to sit down and discuss this with her first but my appointment isn't until April. I also explained my pathology, surgeon conversation and etc. She said that "they" meaning the whole practice of oncologist like to use Arimidex and Ferama with everyone that is early stage, low grade, no nodes. They changed my appt. to next Friday and now I'm wondering if there is a possibility to check via MRI's every 6 months whether anything has changed if I turn down the Ferama.

I hear that the new oncologist was at Ireland Cancer at some point. I'm hoping that I'll be able to relay how I feel up to this point as far as still having pain, swelling and hematoma from the mastectomy in Oct. and not wanting to take anything that will make me feel worse. Geez, once I decided against taking this were the first relief mentally I've had in months and now they just set me back by making me feel if I don't take it I'll be ready to drop over!