Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Armpit pain, could it be from fibroadenoma?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I'm 32 years old, married mother of twins, not currently pregnant.  I have been having pain in my left armpit for about 6 months now.  It hasn't been constant, although lately seems to be more regular, a dull constant discomfort.  It is a discomfort and annoyance, and is uncomfortable.  It is up REALLY high in my armpit, and I haven't been able to feel any lumps until recently.  I do believe that I feel a swollen area if I put my arm above my head.

I have a fibroadenoma in the left breast, and the doctors don't seem to take my concern of armpit pain/discomfort very seriously.  They say it is from the fibroademoa.  My question is, could it be from this?  Fibroadenomas are benign, so why would they cause my lymph nodes to swell up?

Is there any tests/questions that I should specifically request?  I just don't feel comfortable with their explaination, it doesn't seem to make logical sense to me.  Should I ask to talk to a specialist?
Dear tarapage:  A fibroadenoma may cause some discomfort in some settings but it is unlikely to make lymph nodes swell.  If you feel a lump in your armpit, it should be evaluated by a physician.  It could be many things, including a lymph node but without evaluation, it is impossible to guess at what this might be.  If you are not comfortable with your doctor, you might seek the opinion of a breast specialist.  These are usually located at large academic medical centers.
I would really be interested in what you find out about this. I am in a similiar situation. Two months ago at my annual check up Dr. found a small pea size lump in right breast at 6:00. Few days later had a mammogram and ultra sound. Nothing showed up. They were very careful in checking as they even turned around and did an additional mammogram pin pointing the area. I left confident everything was just fine. A few days later I woke up with a really bad pain under my arm and it felt like it went up around the breast area and up to my collar bone. I also noticed the area under my arm seemed very thick and swollen. I called the Dr. immediatly and they scheduled me to see a surgeon. The pain continued for several weeks and finally I saw the surgeon. He could not feel any mass or lump and was not concerned however sceduled an ultrasound of the area under my arm. Ultra sound showed nothing. Skin is still thick and swollen however pain has gotten much better. I saw the surgeon a week ago and he does not feel any more tests are needed, however still unsure of what is causing the swelling?? Not sure what I should do from here?? Thank you for sharing your story and all the best in getting some answers. Keep us posted!!
Hello, I am 24, I have 2 children 5 years apart, and have had underarm and breast pain in both sides since the birth of my second son 16 months ago. I have been to the 4 different doctors in the last year, I had a normal ultrasound but the pain is still there. I have been worried about breast cancer but everyone says its not painful, and my ultrasound was normal, I have tryed primrose oil, vitimins, and cutting back on caffine and chocolate, does any one have any other suggestions to try I am just tired of the pain, and ofcouse I don't want there to be anything really wrong. I also wanted to mention, during my last pregnancy I was on progesterone to keep my baby, because of 3 prior miscarriages, I didnt know if the progesterone could of caused the pain? Hope someone can help.

I also have lumps under my armpits, have had a mammo and ultrasound, and nothing has turned up. Very thick swollen area, painful off and on. My mom has had swollen sweat glands that get clogged, and it could be this. Supposedly they don't remove them, because likely chance they will come back.
A related discussion, breast pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain under left armpit and upper breast area??? was started.
A related discussion, Armpit fibroadenoma was started.