Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Atypia with columnar cell and ductal hyperplasia
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Atypia with columnar cell and ductal hyperplasia

After a sterotactic core needle biopsy, the path report read, "fibrocystic changes with adenosis and apocrine metaplasia. Foci of microcalcification are present within the adenosis foci. There is columnar cell alteration and focal flat epithelial atypia." The presence of atypia prompted a wire-guided excisional biopsy.

After the excisional biopsy, the path report read, "Areas of ductal hyperplasia including areas of columnar cell hyperplasia. I have not identified a significant degree of atypia. Areas of apocrine hyperplasia and apocrine cyst formation are also noted. An area compatible with prior needle biopsy site is identified wih reactive granulation tissue. No evidence of carcinoma."

Good news, and apparently most of the atypia was removed with the needle biopsy. My surgeon has recommended a normal 12-month follow-up mammogram and nothing more.

My question is, with atypia and columnar cell hyperplasia and ductal hyperplasia, is it usual to wait 12 months for follow-up, or should I go back at 6 months? Also, how much does this finding increase my risk for future breast cancer? Thank you in advance for your input!