Atypical Lobular Hyperplasia...Excisional biopsy
Hi I was diagnosed with ALH by stereotactic biopsy.(Calcifications)  Have excisional biopsy scheduled.  What is the possible diagnosis if I get upgraded? Would be be lcis or dcis?  What are the chances that it could be a more serious diagnosis? Thank you.

Atypical lobular hyperplasia is not cancer nor is it a pre-cancerous lesion. But it does mean that the individual is predisposed to increased risk of LCIS and then some of these individuals with LCIS develop breast cancer .

For you to understand it - this means that there is an area (focal) from the lobule of the breast (lobular) of an increased number of cells than usual (hyperplasia) that look different than normal breast tissue (atypical).

Active management is usually not done and the plan is to follow up regularly with your doctor and carry out self breats examinations regularly and report any abnormal features to your doctor. Do you have any of the high risk factors for breast cancer?

You should follow up with your doctor about the further management plan in your case.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.