Breast Cancer Community
Atypical cells

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Atypical cells

A core biopsy I had last week on a ridge on my right breast came back as atypical cells.  My doctor suggested a lumpectomy of the area to determine if anything more serious is going on.  I also have fibrocystic breasts and have reached menopause and want to know if this could be the cause of the atypical cells.  Should I get a second opinion before agreeing to the lumpectomy? Could this just be monitored in lieu of a lumpectomy?  My mammo and sono were negative.  Thank you.
1 Comment
My understanding is that atypical cells, while not cancerous themselves, are located adjacent to cancerous cells approximately one-third of the time -- so the presence of atypical cells in a core biopsy sample should trigger an excisional biopsy to make sure that in your case all is well.

Of course it never hurts to get a second opinion to know you're doing the right thing, but I think you should follow your doctor's recommendations and have the lumpectomy! There is no way to monitor the area until you first know what you are dealing with.

Let us know how everything goes for you...