Atypical epithelial cells
What exactly does it mean when one is told one has "clusters of atypical epithelial cells?"  The needle aspiration of a fluid filled cyst appeared to be successful.  Who knows where this was anymore?  Yet I am told I should have a surgeon do a biopsy now.  Is this standard practice?  What is the likely outcome of having this result from a needle aspiration of a fluid filled cyst?
"atypical" means abnormal.......
Atypical cells are those which have changed from a normal appearance to something abnormal. It is very important to biopsy the area to be sure they are not adjacent to DCIS or other type of cancer. They found flat epithelial atypical cells with my stereotactic core needle biopsy for microcalcifications, which necessitated a wire-guided excisional biopsy -- from what I've read, these atypical cells are found "next door to" cancers about one-third of the time. Fortunately, in my case the atypical cells were there adjacent to benign tissue changes, but it is so important to rule out cancer, and to begin treatment early if cancer is found. Don't wait! Talk to your surgeon and get your biopsy soon. Kind regards...
Its my understanding that if you have hyperplastic atypia then you are at an increased risk for breast cancer and some choose to go on a drug such as Tamoxafin, I chose not to, since the side effects were something I decided I did not want to deal with at this stage. My surgeon said I could discus this with an Oncologist but since they surgically removed the area I decided to just keep an eye on it for now. Regards, Madge.