Breast Cancer Community
BIRAD 4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

BIRAD 4

Just came back from my breast surgeon, who told me about BIRAD 4 that (i) for radiologists it is a kind of "better safe than sorry" category, where it might be cancerous (but probably isn't 20-30% are), and (ii) many radiologists use that category very liberally in part due to liability concerns. It is routine for BIRAD 4s to come with a recommendation for a biopsy. Once it is in writing, the primary physician then has no choice but to have the biopsy performed (again, most likely from a liability perspective or b/c perhaps their own professional malpractice insurance may require it. )

In my case, I was given BIRAD 4  becuase the growth is solid, with no secondary evidence of cancer. The breast surgeeon feels it is very likely to be fibreadenoma (sp?).

Hope that takes away a bit of anxiety for someone. It sure did for me, esp. b/c the radiologist only told me that I had a "growth" (didn't tell me it was pretty small --only 5mm) and that I needed a biopsy right away.

Anyway, I would rather be safe than sorry as well.

Tags: BIRAD 4
HI,
BIRAD is a scoring system used by radiologist in reporting the mammogram.
The score 4 suggests suspicious lesion. But has your surgeon feels it to be a fibroadenoma, it would be better you go ahead with an biopsy of the lesion as it would be suggesting some clue to diagnosis.
Birad 4 means that you would probably be advised a biopsy by your surgeon or doctor. You need to discuss with your doctor what he is suspecting. Fibroadenoma is a benign lesion. But only a biopsy could give a confirmed diagnosis. Goodluck.