BIRAD 4
Just came back from my breast surgeon, who told me about BIRAD 4 that (i) for radiologists it is a kind of "better safe than sorry" category, where it might be cancerous (but probably isn't 20-30% are), and (ii) many radiologists use that category very liberally in part due to liability concerns. It is routine for BIRAD 4s to come with a recommendation for a biopsy. Once it is in writing, the primary physician then has no choice but to have the biopsy performed (again, most likely from a liability perspective or b/c perhaps their own professional malpractice insurance may require it. )

In my case, I was given BIRAD 4  becuase the growth is solid, with no secondary evidence of cancer. The breast surgeeon feels it is very likely to be fibreadenoma (sp?).

Hope that takes away a bit of anxiety for someone. It sure did for me, esp. b/c the radiologist only told me that I had a "growth" (didn't tell me it was pretty small --only 5mm) and that I needed a biopsy right away.

Anyway, I would rather be safe than sorry as well.

HI,
BIRAD is a scoring system used by radiologist in reporting the mammogram.
The score 4 suggests suspicious lesion. But has your surgeon feels it to be a fibroadenoma, it would be better you go ahead with an biopsy of the lesion as it would be suggesting some clue to diagnosis.
Birad 4 means that you would probably be advised a biopsy by your surgeon or doctor. You need to discuss with your doctor what he is suspecting. Fibroadenoma is a benign lesion. But only a biopsy could give a confirmed diagnosis. Goodluck.