Breast Cancer Community
BIRADS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

BIRADS

Has anyone heard of BIRADS subcategory 4a?  My mammo was classified as BIRADS 4 and I have had biopsy and waiting on results.  Underneath the 4 the report has 4a with a note that malignancy probability is low, which is good news.Just never seen subcategories before..
Hi Tina,
Usually a pathologist report include A B or C after the  BIRADS score 4 is given.
"Optional subdivisions"
BIRADS 4A: Finding needing intervention with a low suspicion for malignancy
BIRADS 4B: Lesions with an intermediate suspicion of malignancy
BIRADS 4C: Findings of moderate concern, but not classic for malignancy

Your BIRADS 4A , is certainly better news.
Wishing you a BENIGN finding and good luck...
Thanks, zouzi---I didn't know the BIRADS subdivisions either. This is really helpful information - wanted you to know I appreciate your help here!
Wishing you well.
nc
thanks for the encouragement.  the waiting is horrible, but i should know something by Friday.  this is the second time around for me.  first biopsy was stereotactic 5 years ago and benign and this one was vacuum assisted core biopsy in the same breast, different lump.  i'm scared to death!
Just adding my good wishes for benign results! I know the waiting is the worst---I've had three biopsies of 5 different areas myself and you can't help but think the worst
at times. Please try to keep busy and distracted , pamper yourself a little and stay positive. As hard as the waiting is,  it's better than not knowing what's going on and being able to deal with it head-on.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts and sending you a big hug (   ),
nc
Found out today results are BENIGN!  Just a fibroadenoma, which is very common.  Will still have to f/u with Dr in office to decide if it needs to be removed or not.  Thanks for your prayers- and hugs!
Hi Tina,
Congratulations!!. This is wonderful news! and I am very glad for you!! :)
Take care....
Hi, Tina,
SO HAPPY for you---that's great news!!! On a personal note, I've had two fibroademonas removed and it was really pretty simple surgery. If your doctor recommends it and you decide to have it removed, don't stress too much about it, OK?
Continue to get your screenings, as I'm sure you have and will do, and stay healthy
and happy!
I were there with you, I'd give you a hug, so I'll send one over (    ),
nc :o)
Oooops---last line should be "If I were there with you"---hope you understood what I
meant! Sometimes the brain goes faster than the fingers!
nc
Hi ncmichigan, glad to hear from you.  We've decided to just watch it for now and f/u in 6 months - you know the drill.  Thanks again for your kind words!
Thanks zouzi!