BIRADS 4
Had my first ever mammogram aged 49 - No abnormalities - no mass lesions - no areas of micro calcification BUT -
both breasts are grossly dense suggesting them to be in BIRAD 4 category.

I am worried as all the info I have read about BIRADS 4 suggests  "Suspicious abnormality"  means that there are suspicious findings that could turn out to be cancer. (may require biopsy)

But it sounds like I don't have anything to biopsy!!  as NO abnormalities or masses were found! I AM TOTALLY confused can anyone explain or advise me!
I have heard that dense breasts are harder to find things in , but I don't think that necessarily means there is anything there.  Maybe they are SOOOO dense that they can't see anything, so they would have to assume that there could be something there, therefore the birad 4 category.  They are very careful with those ratings, and making sure they don't miss things.  You should try to ask your physician or the radiologist to clarify what it means.  Good luck!  Shannon
A BIRADS score of 4 is not assigned due to dense breasts only. If additional testing is needed the BIRADS score is 0. Did you actually receive the complete report from your mammogram or were you just informed as to the findings. I would certainly discuss this with your prescribing Physician and you might request that your films be read by another Radiologist ... you are correct; a biopsy cannot be done "just because" without a finding evident on film.    Regards ....