Breast Cancer Community
BIRADS CATEGORY 4B

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

BIRADS CATEGORY 4B

My mom just got a mammogram test...
the result was BIRADS category 4B-Intermediary Probability for Malignancy
it says..." Irregular faintly spiculated mass in the right superolateral quadrant with mild proximal ductectasia"
Can anyone help me understand this??
I am very worried for my mom...will this lead to Breast Cancer?
A BIRADS score 4,means that the lump, being faintly spiculated, seen on mammogram is somewhat suspicious,but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's cancer.I am sure that a biopsy has been recommended to determine for sure what this lump is.
Many BIRADS 4 return a benign finding and I hope that the pathology report will state the same for your mom.
Best wishes.
A BIRADS 4 score on a mammogram calls for further evaluation of a suspicious finding.

It is not so much a question of the mass that was detected leading to BC, as the need to find out whether the mass is cancer.  Your mother should follow through with any recommendation, such as biopsy, because that is the only sure way of knowing whether the mass is malignant or benign.

I'm sure all of this is frightening to both you and your mom, but the sooner the answer is obtained the better,  either to begin treatment at the earliest opportuinity if it turns out to be cancer, or to have  peace of mind if ti turns out to be benign.

Best wishes to you both...